• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

714 Mile Motorcycle Trip

CherryCola

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
16   0
Reaction score
In late Spring or early Summer I have decided to get my motorcycle from my parents house. I'm going to be flying to Savannah and then driving the bike back to Philadelphia.

Has anyone made this long of a trip on a bike? My only issue is having a GPS when I get back to Philly. 98% of the trip will be on I95 and it doesn't go through any major cities until I reach the Washington DC area. I may purchase a Bluetooth helmet for this ride, but even then I may need to rig up a way to attach my phone to the battery so it can charge.

Any ideas?

I have a really nice full face Bluetooth helmet for sale if you're interested. Also, I use a mobile battery pack to charge my phone while I'm doing stuff that isn't near an outlet.

I would have to take every back road available to Philadelphia. Unless your in a major hurry than the interstate would just have to work. There is a lot of pretty back country left that is just waiting to be explored.

Garmin makes a GPS/Blue tooth unit, put a ram mount on your bars and put a 12volt plug in direct to your battery (Walmart all weather plug) (Just remember to unplug unit when bike is turned off You can ride and receive and call. I put in many 1000 mile days (year round rider) but stop every 150 miles or so, walk around and get a coffee, keeps you more alert for the cagers who are trying to run over you

My advice would be to NOT take I-95!
If you have the extra time stay off that miserable interstate and see a little of what's left of America on its back roads and small towns.

x10000000. Unless you are working with a tight schedule, hit up google maps and select avoid highways and tolls. Take some backroads that somewhat parallel the highway, throw a tent and bag on the back and enjoy the ride. I am riding 4000+ plus miles in June via mostly dirt roads and trails across the US. I was going to ship the bike back from Oregon and then fly home, but have decided to ride it back via backroads and see some friends in CA, UT, CO and KS along the way. After all, I am quitting my job so I dont really have a time line. lol

Back to your questions, I have done some 500 mile day rides before involving mostly interstate... not really fun. I avoid the highway at all costs.

I dont really use blutooth, but another +1 for the RAM mounting solution for your phone or GPS unit. I would wire a 12volt outlet into the keyed switch so you dont have to worry about battery draw when the bike is off. Most bikes have auxillary wires behind the headlight that are keyed

Last edited:
Oh and if you need tentspace or a place to crash, send me a PM. I am in Kennesaw and have hosted numerous Adv Riders. Depending on what time you leave Savannah, Kennesaw may be a convenient place to stop for the night.

Close to the hwy, garage space, tools, spare bedroom and shower. Got a bar across the street. lol

https://www.denniskirk.com/599225.sku?ad=4355691769

And the all weather plug from Wal-Mart (just hook it direct to your battery). Assuming you have a case for your phone, this should do you fine. Take a wall charger and when you stop to eat, plug 'er in at the restaurant. If you get low on the road, just pull over and hook up the 12V charger.

I either do this or if I'm feeling lazy I have bluetooth earbuds I bought at BestBuy (BlueJay I think is the brand) and a battery pack that are always in my bike bag. Made the 550 miles from Va to Atlanta when I bought my 919 sight unseen in 8 hours 15 minutes with a 30 minute nap at a rest area. Not the best way to do it. I highly recommend getting off the interstate from time to time and "exploring with forward progress" especially if you're not in a hurry during sunlight hours.

My advice would be to NOT take I-95!
If you have the extra time stay off that miserable interstate and see a little of what's left of America on its back roads and small towns.

You are correct Sir. I-95 is dangerous enough in a car, doing it on a bike is really taking a chance. Take the back roads and enjoy the relaxed trip that may take three-four days if you are not in a hurry.

Back
Top Bottom