• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

44 special

Laxguy59

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
64   0
Reaction score
Has anyone made some really heavy 44 special loads before? it would be for a rifle I'm hoping to get.

Wondering what the limits are on a 300 gr special load. Don't want it to break the sound barrier( 1070), but want it to be going as close to it as the case volume would allow.

Also the barrel would be 18" or more.

Lax I just looked at most of my reloading data i see nothing for a 300 gr going that fast. if you do get something that hot make sure they never get used in a pistol

D.

I have a friend who loads some pretty hot 44 spec. I know he shoots it in his 44 mag Redhawk and the report and recoil is much stouter than off the shelf 44 spec. I wouldn't shoot it in an undercover or something like that but a .44 mag or a rifle probably wouldn't hurt. Kind feels like .44 special +p lol. I still don't think he uses anything heavier that 240gr though. I've never heard of anyone loading a 44 spec with 300gr.

Elmer Keith made some awesome .44 SPL +p+ loads....but he blew up a few guns (revolvers).

He talked Remington into making a new round called the .44 Magnum and was the father to the .41 Magnum.

Elmer Keith made some awesome .44 SPL +p+ loads....but he blew up a few guns (revolvers).

He talked Remington into making a new round called the .44 Magnum and was the father to the .41 Magnum.

I'm not looking for speed, just really heavy subsonic. This 44 project is going to force me into reloading.

Unless you are just keen on pushing 44 special, have you though about using 44 magnum cases with 44 special loads and working up from there? i.e making a 44 magnum -P rather than 44 special +P.

I have read of people doing this for safety's sake as it assures the heavy loads will never get into an older firearm.

The heaviest bullet loading I can find is for .44 special a 267 grain cast.

http://www.castpics.net/project2/CastDatalist.php?start=4481

A nice historical read. http://www.elmerkeithshoot.org/GA/1969_01_Elmer_Keith_Favorite_Load.pdf

Edit! Found it, 300 grain loads: http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=44%20Special&Weight=300&type=Handgun&Order=Powder&Source=

Now this loading is for a pistol so the velocity will increase up to a point. There is a formula but I'm too lazy to go find it but 10 or so more inches might take this load above the sound barrier.

Last edited:
Unless you are just keen on pushing 44 special, have you though about using 44 magnum cases with 44 special loads and working up from there? i.e making a 44 magnum -P rather than 44 special +P.

I have read of people doing this for safety's sake as it assures the heavy loads will never get into an older firearm.

Well, the 77/44's magazine doesn't allow for a very long OAL, apparently 270 grain 44 magnums are about as long as it will allow.

Back
Top Bottom