• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.38/.357 bullet question

nelsonatlbuilders

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
80   0
Reaction score
bullet.JPG
I bought some rainier bullets in fayetteville nc. this week thinking they were 158gr. lead bullets. i opened them up and they are 158gr. jacketed flat point bullets. problem is, they have no cannelure. i cannot find any load data for this type of bullet and was thinking of putting a taper crimp on the bullet using my 9mm crimp die due to not having a .357 taper die. does anybody have experience loading or know of a source of load data for this type of bullet, it is .358" and 158gr. for a .38/.357 thanks

Most recommend using lead bullet data, moderate velocities.

I wouldn't be happy about the lack of a cannelure? A revolver, even a light recoiling one needs a decent crimp for reliability. This is where a Lee FCD would be handy.

Most recommend using lead bullet data, moderate velocities.

I wouldn't be happy about the lack of a cannelure? A revolver, even a light recoiling one needs a decent crimp for reliability. This is where a Lee FCD would be handy.

I am new to pistol reloading, so is it recommended to crimp lead bullets?? I just bought the Lee carbide 4pc sets and am still debating over projectile selection too. I have read good things about Missouri bullets.

NelsonAB, please pardon the thread hijack!!

Yes, a revolver can easily shake bullets in either direction during recoil. Most revolver bullets should have a cannelure. These look like they would be better suited to a .38 Auto/Super.

Yes, a revolver can easily shake bullets in either direction during recoil. Most revolver bullets should have a cannelure. These look like they would be better suited to a .38 Auto/Super.

Raniers website recommends using the Lee factory crimp die with only a "slight" crimp and say their bullets are "soft" and thus do not need the cannelure. Just FYI --

Chuckdog, you type faster than me, bro!! :)

thanks for info guys, my internet speed is so slow i have a hard time researching anything out here. I will load some up and give you guys the results. the bullets were pretty cheap so what the heck.

Back
Top Bottom