.300 win mag load?

EMT1000

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
30   0
Reaction score
Hey was just wondering if any of you out there had a good load for 300 mag I have looked at the hodgdon web site and wanted to see what was working for everyone else i would like to use the heavier grain bullet like 180-200 let me know what you guys use thanks

I'm a big fan of the Alliant family of powders for the 300 Win. I've had excellent results with RL19 and RL22. I use mostly 165, 168, 175 and 180 grain bullets. This round is capable of better accuracy than most shooters.

Application makes the difference. I'm not a fan of ballistic tip bullets at high velocities for hunting. They fly good though. I've attained excellent results with both types, but I'm a diehard Sierra MatchKing fan.

No, I generally use either the GameKings or Hornady soft points. I've used the SST's for hunting in magnum rounds with good results, but the Noslers have simply fragmented way too many times for me to use them on anything other than small game, or reduced loads.

I've had it happen too many times to ignore it. Even in standard caliber rounds like the .270 Win. and .280 Rem, they've turned to sand.

One of my favorite deer rounds is the Hornady 180 grain round nose. Those round nose bullets shoot better than many would believe. At Ga. distances 200 yds and less, they'll hold their own with spitzer boat tails. They deliver a good wound channel on a whitetail too.

I looked through my records, and I appear to be way out of the Sierra manual?

I show 76 grains of RL19 behind a 165 grain GK delivering outstanding accuracy from a T3 Tikka. I was using necked sized Winchester brass, CCI 250 primers and seating them to a 3.350 OAL. The magazine wouldn't allow anymore and still be a repeater. I believe my Sierra manual shows 74.2 as max.

I show the 150's @ 77 grains, and the 180's @ 72.5. Everything else is identical. These loads are out of spec, but were safe and very accurate in my Tikka. My manual doesn't list a suggested load for the RL19 and the 150 GK.

The manual shows, 71.1 grains of RL19 for the 180's and 74.2 as max for the 165's.

Velocity wise, Reloader 22 may do better with the 180's and other heavier bullets if you have enough barrel to burn the slower powder.

As always, "Be Careful" start much lower than what I listed, and see where you get the best accuracy. Verify anything and everything you read here!

Let us know what works for you and your rifle! CD

Last edited:
Thanks for the info im making notes but i do have a question the horady manual i have says that you should work with near max loads due to high pressure and hang fires with reduced loads and slow burning powder

This confuses me because i normally start low and work up so what do i do? This manual recommends IMR4350 7828 7828ssc IMR4350 and RL-22 also my gun has a 26'' barrel

You got enough tube to get the good out of the slower powders. The RL 22 is very good powder in the 300, especially for the heavier bullets.

H4831SC works well too. If memory serves me 4350 is closer to the RL19 in burn rate. The 300 has always been easy for me to get good results. I think they're encouraging loads that near fill or fill the case, "high density" for reliability?

I subscribe to that theory in eveything I load. I want as much case fill as possible.

Back
Top Bottom