• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.30 .30 Ballistic tip ammo

9   0
Reaction score
I have a quick question for you shooting & hunting experts. My 15 year old son has decided to finish out the deer season with my first ever center-fire rifle that my father gave me in the 80's when I was his age. It is a Savage, magazine fed .30/.30 Bolt action rifle in awesome shape, still locks up tight with probably no more than 25 rounds down the pipe if that. My question is this...Does anyone know where I might be able to find him a good commercial loading of 130 grn ballistic tip hollow points for this gun.All I've ever shot through it was the ol' Remington Core-lokt round nose soft points in the 170 grain loads and we would like to squeeze a few more yards out of it so he can hunt a nice sized QDM buck we have been seeing on a clear cut on our property. He has access to all three of our other deer caliber Rifles from his 700 in .243, to a savage .270 Win. and my Model 70 30'06 but he really wants to continue the family tradition with his Dad's old trusty "Thurty Thurty" LOL! Any ideas or direction on this would be greatly appreciated!
i42.tinypic.com_2niyzco.jpg

I use them in my 35 so im sure they.would have them.for.a 30-30.hand loading is a big investment up front they will take time too pay off depending how much you shot but then you can start playing with powder ratios and what not too get the maximum performance

Other than the Hornday Leverevolution ammo, you won't find a pointed bullet in 30-30 that isn't handloaded.

There is no way an ammo manufacturer would put out something that could kaboom a lever gun.

Other than the Hornday Leverevolution ammo, you won't find a pointed bullet in 30-30 that isn't handloaded.

There is no way an ammo manufacturer would put out something that could kaboom a lever gun.
Yep I figured as much and that is why I have just shot Core-lokts thru it over the years....I found some Leverevolutions in 166 grn but no 130 grains are in stock anywhere I've looked! I reckon the 166's have good enough ballistics to accomplish what we want so I'll be getting 3 boxes delivered express mail. Thanks guys!

Back
Top Bottom