• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

2006 Dodge Ram Brakes. Help me repair/upgrade?

IMaDad

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
36   0
Reaction score
So here it is. The brakes in my 2006 ram suck. I just replaced the pads, but there are still issues with horrible pedal fade, pedal moving a few inches with little effort and then turning into a brick like manual brake feel.

I checked the fluid. the fluid in the resevoir is like black. I forgot to bleed the fluid the last couple years. oops.

the brake pedal also moves side to side alot if you push it that way. that doesnt seem right.
when i was doing the spark plugs, I noticed the center of the brake booster (around where the MC connects) is wet. Damn. leaking MC.

So I figure I'll replace the MC with a new one, bench bleed it, and then bleed the rest of the system while i am at it.

now, Can i upgrade to a 2500 booster, master cylinder, or both, to get some better/stronger brakes? I know the jeep TJ guys (i used to be one) would upgrade to a dodge 2500 booster and it would make a huge difference. anything I can do for that?

Thanks

The master cylinder size is sized for your system. A larger master cylinder usually results in a harder pedal and less touch,don't recommend it.
Go with stock replacement, and you should relace those almost 10 yr old hoses too. Go with ceramic pads and turn/replace the rotors. Calipers good?bleed the snot out of it using the correct fluid, believe that's a dot 3 or 4, non silicone. Hopefully the trash comes out with the bleed. Use a mityvac at each caliper to bleed, worth the money.

What's a mityvac? I have a handheld vacuum gun I use for bleeding that does well. Just wish it had a larger reservoir that I didn't have to empty every caliper

Two person bleed is still better. If only one person then use the hand held. Never was real happy with the hand held though. May be I wasn't holding my mouth right or something.

The issue you described sounds like master cylinder and/or brake lines. Since you changed the MC I would now do the lines.
Bring it by the house I'll give you a hand.

So here it is. The brakes in my 2006 ram suck. I just replaced the pads, but there are still issues with horrible pedal fade, pedal moving a few inches with little effort and then turning into a brick like manual brake feel.

I checked the fluid. the fluid in the resevoir is like black. I forgot to bleed the fluid the last couple years. oops.

the brake pedal also moves side to side alot if you push it that way. that doesnt seem right.
when i was doing the spark plugs, I noticed the center of the brake booster (around where the MC connects) is wet. Damn. leaking MC.

So I figure I'll replace the MC with a new one, bench bleed it, and then bleed the rest of the system while i am at it.

now, Can i upgrade to a 2500 booster, master cylinder, or both, to get some better/stronger brakes? I know the jeep TJ guys (i used to be one) would upgrade to a dodge 2500 booster and it would make a huge difference. anything I can do for that?

Thanks
I had a master cyclinder from one of the box stores and the rebuild had the wrong plunger installed...also had same problem with a booster..have it vacuum checked..or check vacuum manifold to the booster and or the ck valve at the booster

Back
Top Bottom