• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

2000 dodge truck stops running

replace the crank sensor..it will eventually not crank and run...60$ at auto zone and check all grounds, back of the fire wall to motor from trans to chassis and ground(add one) from ECM to chassis..could be in any of the weather pak connectors but the sensor seems to be the one the only other one is the cam sensor(in the distributor) if you have changed cap and rotor you may have damaged it or its not sitting straight in the notch on the distributor base

Last edited:
Update,ground wire appeared to fix it,but but shut off after about 40 miles,seems like the hotter it is outside and hotter the motor,the sooner the motor shuts off,usually starts again after it's cooled off a little,been told bad ground may have damaged the computer

Update,ground wire appeared to fix it,but but shut off after about 40 miles,seems like the hotter it is outside and hotter the motor,the sooner the motor shuts off,usually starts again after it's cooled off a little,been told bad ground may have damaged the computer
yep be prepared for a 300$ bill..Rock auto..cardone dodge ECM get the vin and the number off the ECM ready to give them..there is a core charge on the computer usually

I have a 98 Ram, I had a similar problem. All I had to do was reset the computer. Disconnect the Battery, Turn and hold the key to crank position for 30-60 sec. This will drain any remaining power. Hook the battery back up. Worked for me.

I have a 2005 Dodge Ram Hemi. Is it possible your Throttle Body needs cleaning? I have heard that Dodge placed sensors in there and if they get gummed up the engine will shut off while you are driving. This is not a failure but something the motor does automatically to keep from being ruined. The motor is smarter than us and will shut itself off.

Back
Top Bottom