• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

2000 dodge truck stops running

Put new ignition switch in, will see what happens, going on 300 thousand miles, only other one I had with more was 1970 Chevrolet with over 400 thousand

Switch didn't fix it , ran for 2 hours in drive, no problem, drove about 10 miles to a store,started fine,2-3 minutes later stopped, hadn't even moved yet, didn't start 1st try, but did on 2nd, drov back home , no problem, damn!

Catalytic converter maybe ? Had a Chevy 1500 do that same thing on a trip to Florida . I cut the pipe on the side of the road & drove it back home . Was loud . but I made it . Crank it & let it run , Check the pipe to see if the exhaust is flowing freely .

Good Luck

Remove and clean your idle air control valve. It doesn't cost anything to clean it and can't hurt. I have taken care of several random shut offs and idle quality issues this way.

If it is shutting off when the throttle is not closed this likely is not the cause.

No flashing odometer, oil pressure is fine, speed sensors were changed years ago when it would run but barely move, just not getting any clues as to what it is.

Does the electrical go out like the switch was off, or does the engine just stall? Does it do it when you're giving it throttle and just die, or is it when you come to a stop?

My dad has a Dodge 1500 around that year and had a crazy issue where it just stopped running all of a sudden and couldn't figure it out for a while. I could ask him but I believe it was the computer that had to be replaced. Either that or the entire fuse panel, or something bizarre and unexpected.

It could be a bad ground wire that's frayed but not completely broken causing a short. From what I've read so far its my most educated guess.

I've chased electrical problems for month replacing expensive parts with no avail and then found out it was as simple as a bad ground

Back
Top Bottom