• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

2 Years Alone in the Wilderness... Escaping the City to Build Off Grid Log Cabin

Deleted member 79987

Default rank 5000+ posts
Good enough for government work
79   0
Reaction score
So much I could say about this -- I'll just let the video speak for itself. It's beautiful. The funny thing is, this is how people lived 150-200 years ago. Note the video is 1 hr and 31 minutes.

Description:
One man leaves the city life behind to build a cheap off grid log cabin and homestead in the Canadian wilderness, including a log home, an outdoor kitchen, an outhouse, a woodshed and a sauna bathhouse. Building mostly with hand tools, Shawn James harvests building materials from the forests north of Toronto, Canada and crafts them into functional tools and shelters using traditional woodworking tools and methods. He practices bush craft and survival skills every day, including fire starting, tree identification and harvesting, wild edible foraging, fishing, hunting, camping in the summer and winter, traveling by canoe and snowshoe, navigation and water collection and purification.

Thanks for posting this.
Not to hijack your post, but here's another one:
Google: Dick Proenneke in Alone in the Wilderness. PBS did a series about him
He started building his cabin
when he was in his early 50s and I think he lived there until he was about 80. Had to move to civilization when he couldn't climb the steps to get to his pantry.
He even built the door hinges out of wood.
It takes a special man to do what these guys do.

So I wonder, these guys honed their bodies and their skills to live off the land but are savy enough to record it? Were they trust fund babies? Where did they get the money to start this journey? And the insight? He seems to have a lot of n8ce comfort things going on

Back
Top Bottom