• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

2 Years Alone in the Wilderness... Escaping the City to Build Off Grid Log Cabin

So I wonder, these guys honed their bodies and their skills to live off the land but are savy enough to record it? Were they trust fund babies? Where did they get the money to start this journey? And the insight? He seems to have a lot of n8ce comfort things going on
I wonder if he read a lot before going out on his own, testing and trying things out, bringing in some modern technology when he thought it was appropriate (like the metal sink he made), and slowly building his skills. I'm sure a city commuter addicted to their cellphone & Starbucks every morning couldn't just leave civilization like that in one big step.

So I wonder, these guys honed their bodies and their skills to live off the land but are savy enough to record it? Were they trust fund babies? Where did they get the money to start this journey? And the insight? He seems to have a lot of n8ce comfort things going on

I’ve often wondered that too.
There’s no way I’d have the patience to set up and fool with cameras to film my every move although I’d probably be a rich youtube star if I did.....All I’d need to do is dress my wife up in hot outfits to help me in my project videos ...lol...but can you imagine the amount of time and effort that goes into self filming stuff like that ....let alone the work you’re doing while filming yourself?

So much I could say about this -- I'll just let the video speak for itself. It's beautiful. The funny thing is, this is how people lived 150-200 years ago. Note the video is 1 hr and 31 minutes.

Description:
One man leaves the city life behind to build a cheap off grid log cabin and homestead in the Canadian wilderness, including a log home, an outdoor kitchen, an outhouse, a woodshed and a sauna bathhouse. Building mostly with hand tools, Shawn James harvests building materials from the forests north of Toronto, Canada and crafts them into functional tools and shelters using traditional woodworking tools and methods. He practices bush craft and survival skills every day, including fire starting, tree identification and harvesting, wild edible foraging, fishing, hunting, camping in the summer and winter, traveling by canoe and snowshoe, navigation and water collection and purification.

This guy was social distancing BEFORE social distancing was cool. :)

Back
Top Bottom