• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

2 way radios

gth813x

Default rank <4500 posts
ODT Junkie!
174   1
Reaction score
So I've been reading a lot and it goes both ways and I'm going to search on here in a bit but are there any actual handheld radio units that can actually reach 10 15 mules in an urban suburban setting?

I'm not looking to get licensed so it's not looking good without setting up boosters, relays, or more antennas.

Handheld radios are line-of-sight only. To reach 10-15 miles you need to be in the middle of the ocean... or in NW Ohio where you can actually see that far with nothing in the way.

Any obstructions would require a repeater or an elevated antenna.

Ditto to above.
I've gotten CB walkie-talkies to transmit from 5 miles and be heard on the other side, but a much more common limit is about 400 yards or 1/4 mile.

Same for FRS, family radio service channels. Line of sight for few hundred yards, but maybe only 50 -100 yards within a building or vehicle to another building or vehicle.

Business channel radios (FCC license required) are far superior, with maybe 3X -5x the range. But they don't go for miles, either, unless it's in ideal conditions.

There is an app for cell phones that you can make them like 2 way radios if both have the app on.
Back in the good old Nextel days they had one particular model of phone that would do off network beep beep . So you could radio call another person even if the network went down. I miss Nextel phones.

So I've been reading a lot and it goes both ways and I'm going to search on here in a bit but are there any actual handheld radio units that can actually reach 10 15 mules in an urban suburban setting?

I'm not looking to get licensed so it's not looking good without setting up boosters, relays, or more antennas.
In a word, no. Even with a 5 watt handie, you'll be lucky to get 1.5 miles in most conditions.

Every Prepper should download the firechat app as the more people who have it the bigger the network and the farer you can contact people. When people were demonstrating in Hong Kong a year or so ago the govt shut down networks and people were able to talk via this free service makes your phone like a repeater for others and their phones repeaters for yours the way I understand it

go Motorola if possible and as for the regulations...do your elected officals follow the rules? damn the torpedoes !

That's a big olde 10-4 good buddy. Back in 1975 had two hand held cb sets. The extra battery pack, worn and attatched seperately held something like 20 D cells. Worked pretty good. They had a jack for external antenna. Well I'm getting ratchet mouth, get ya on the flip flop.

Back
Top Bottom