• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

1911 a1

I had what I thought was a Colt 1911A1. My brother bought it for $40 in the early 1960s. I started researching and discovered that what I had was an Ithaca with a Colt slide. It had been rebuilt at the Mt. Ranier Ordinance Depot at some point. It still was about a $1000 gun. I gave it to my nephew at Christmas a year or two back. I got most of my information from the good folks at the 1911 Forum. http://forums.1911forum.com/

I have included a link to the thread I started so you can see some of the knowledge these folks have about USGI 1911s.
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=286410

According to the Standard Catalog of MILITARY FIREARMS - The Collectors Price and Reference Guide, for a USGI Colt 1911A1 the values are as follows:

Pre (approx.) SN 114000 with matching slide
--Exc.---------VG.-------Good------Fair------Poor
$2000------$1500-----$1000-----$750-----$500

Post (approx.) SN 114000 with matching slide
--Exc.---------VG.-------Good------Fair------Poor
$1800------$1400------$925------$700----$500

Last edited:
I saw two USGI 1911s, one of them an A1, sell at auction last October. Not an online auction, but an actual, in-person live auction. Both guns had been altered to some degree. Neither was original, nor in any better than what I would call "fair" condition.

Both brought upwards of $1100.

as mentioned a lot depends on condition ,and if its truly original.
the military made zagillions of these things and they remained in service until adoption of the beretta 92, many were worked on and parts swapped out by military armories.
during WWII the Colt was the most produced and usually in like conditions such manufactures as Remington Rand, Singer sewing machine co, Union telegraph co, ithaca gun works, are worth more than the colts.
I think there were only about 500 made by Singer actually.
I see a few old WWII 1911's float through the gun shops here but most are not cherry or original and bring in the 5-600 buck range normally.

Back
Top Bottom