• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

18 Year old Handgun Laws

18+ can have a handgun loaded in their vehicle. Had it confirmed by a Gwinnett county judge that happened to also be one of my criminal justice professors. Unfortunately not all LEO's are aware of every law and easily confuse the age to be 21.

Read the whole thing... he quoted section (d), not (a).

The discussion is about an 18 year old carrying in his or her own vehicle. You offered subsection (d) to suggest that an 18 year old could not carry a handgun in a vehicle.

I'll repeat, an 18 year old legally able to own a handgun may carry that handgun anywhere in his or her vehicle.

18+ can have a handgun loaded in their vehicle. Had it confirmed by a Gwinnett county judge that happened to also be one of my criminal justice professors. Unfortunately not all LEO's are aware of every law and easily confuse the age to be 21.

I would venture to guess that 80 to 90 per cent of street level LEO's would give you the wrong answer.

I hope you understand that the bolded portion of that statute has been repealed and is no longer the law in Georgia. -False, as mentioned, that section is still in the law.

To summarize;

An 18 year old may legally buy and own a handgun.- True, unless the seller is an FFL

An 18 year old may have a handgun anywhere in his vehicle. His or her name does not have to be on the title -if it isn't in their name, it is the car they are driving but it is actually another person's car and thus section (d) applies and they cannot legally have the handgun in the vehicle. This privilege does not extend to passengers of any age -section (d) applies here again. Unless the owner of a private passenger car prohibits it, then if they meet the requirements of section (d) they may have their gun (of course those passengers would not be 18 if they met the requirements of (d).

If you ask 10 LEO these two questions, at least 8 of them will give the wrong answer. Probably not far off

Also, an 18 year with the appropriate licenses may openly carry a handgun while hunting or fishing, as well as hunt with a handgun.

The discussion is about an 18 year old carrying in his or her own vehicle. You offered subsection (d) to suggest that an 18 year old could not carry a handgun in a vehicle. I didn't offer it, I corrected you when you said section (d) had been repealed, it has not.

I'll repeat, an 18 year old legally able to own a handgun may carry that handgun anywhere in his or her vehicle.-as long as it is their vehicle legally

See corrections/clarifications in red.

Last edited:
IF you are legal to OWN (but not purchase) a handgun the it is presumable that it will be kept in your home and not on your person. According to the law, your vehicle is considered to be an extention of your home and therefore no further legal documentation is necessary.

ON THE OTHER HAND

Be prepared to be "hassled" if this weapon comes into knowledge of an LEO during the course of a traffic stop/investigation. I'm willing to bet that not every LEO will be as up to date on the law as you believe you are. You may be ok and free to leave, you may not.

Your best best bet is to either keep the weapon at home or keep a copy of the law in your pocket.

yep... x2 on this....

It makes no difference if they own the car or not.

If they don't own the car, then it isn't their vehicle right? If it isn't their vehicle, then subsection (a) doesn't count. For other people's vehicles, only subsection (d) addresses that and it requires they be eligible for a GWL, which being 18 does not qualify them for.

If they are in control of the vehicle then case law supports that as their car. Just like a rental. Kinda like suggesting that they cannot keep a gun at home, just because it is not in their name. Of the car owner allows the passengers to have a gun it is OK just as a property owner can allow them to have guns on their property.

The car law works (for the most part) like being at home, or on your property.

I would have thought that since being in another person's vehicle is specifically called out with different requirements in this case that the case law wouldn't really apply regarding control of their vehicle, but I guess that could be interpreted either way.

I would have thought that since being in another person's vehicle is specifically called out with different requirements in this case that the case law wouldn't really apply regarding control of their vehicle, but I guess that could be interpreted either way.
Being private property the owner of the car can prohibit anyone from possessing a fire arm in their vehicle.

Back
Top Bottom