• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

13 year old homeschooler... not your average bear...

I was homeschooled from the 4th grade on and am really glad I was. I went in vacas anytime and hunted and shot guns in the middle of the day. I wasn't the weird stereotype homeschooled kid. I really surprised my friends and now my wife that I was and didn't turn out any different socially than any other of my friends. Only thing I wish I did was get into public speaking like this kid. I hate getting up on stage. I'd give a lot to be able to speak on stage now like this kid is. When the crowd gets bigger than 4-5 people then I tend to just listen.

I was homeschooled from the 4th grade on and am really glad I was. I went in vacas anytime and hunted and shot guns in the middle of the day. I wasn't the weird stereotype homeschooled kid. I really surprised my friends and now my wife that I was and didn't turn out any different socially than any other of my friends. Only thing I wish I did was get into public speaking like this kid. I hate getting up on stage. I'd give a lot to be able to speak on stage now like this kid is. When the crowd gets bigger than 4-5 people then I tend to just listen.

Worry not, you are not alone there. But it's still not too late, best way to overcome that nervousness is just beat the crap out of it by repetition :)

Most of my development as a public speaker has come in the last four years...I'm 24 and decided at age 20 that I wanted to be a competent speaker. I could never be a lawyer or a politician (I don't lie well enough anyway), but folks don't run away when I talk anymore :p

Worry not, you are not alone there. But it's still not too late, best way to overcome that nervousness is just beat the crap out of it by repetition :)

Most of my development as a public speaker has come in the last four years...I'm 24 and decided at age 20 that I wanted to be a competent speaker. I could never be a lawyer or a politician (I don't lie well enough anyway), but folks don't run away when I talk anymore :p
Lol yea, when it comes down to it, if I immediately am not comfortable doing it then I make myself. It's mind over matter and I've got a pretty tough mind to beat. I feel that everything is in your mind (except paralysis of course). Like when I went skydiving, my body told me NO! But my mind said yes. I remember looking at my fingers as they clasp the outside of the plane @ 14,500'. It was daunting. But I had to make a decision for every finger I turned loose, but to have seen me you would have thought I was cool as a cucumber. I had already made my mind up and I made myself jump out of a plane. Now that I've done it I would do it everyday, it was awesome. And it's those kind of experiences that I don't want myself to miss out on because I chickened out. Same with my hobby of scuba. I love it and do it all the time, but other people I know watch my videos I take down there and they think it looks awesome, but they hear about the dangers of being 100'+ below the surface and know that you wouldn't survive if anything went wrong down there and lemme tell ya, I'm pretty good down there and if I thought I had to surface on 1 breath from that depth I don't think I could. Not without getting bent at least. It sets you back a sec when you think that if anything equipment fails then your toast, but hey, what fun is life if you sit in the comfort of your home all day. I think this mentality helps me in a lot of ways even though I'm prone to stage fright.

Back
Top Bottom