• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

10/9 Hunt

I won't even do it with a rifle. I did that with a .270 from 15 yards off the ground. I lost the deer and will never do that one again. Broadside or they walk for me. It sucks, I've been there.

I heart punched one face to face like that the morning I shot those 2. That was with the 12ga and we were both on the ground though. I saw the hole where I hit this one. It was where I aimed. I still can't believe it didn't penetrate there. I thought for sure that bolt would push straight through into his chest and he'd do the rest of the work running away. I won't make that shot ever again.

I won't even do it with a rifle. I did that with a .270 from 15 yards off the ground. I lost the deer and will never do that one again. Broadside or they walk for me. It sucks, I've been there.
Happened to me last year too, but fortunately we recovered it. The buck was facing me and spotted me about the time I put the crosshairs on him. I was using a 30-06 but it was still quite a tracking job. shotgun 01 shotgun 01 's tracking dog bailed me out.

IMG_20221030_102020222.jpg

👍👍 It is the responsible shot to take. I passed on many deer last season because the angle was nowhere near as "near certain" as the broadside shot is. Wounding a deer because I want a trophy rack is nothing I am interested in. Living easy with a smile of having watched a beautiful animal versus living guilty from knowingly taking a shot I should have passed on and likely would have if the deer were a doe and wounding that beautiful animal ... no way.

It's easier to tell people how virtuous you are than to tell them about your mistakes. Up until that day, I would have made that same shot if it was a doe or a 6 pointer. I don't trophy hunt and never have. I put hours in the stand. Not in a box blind on the edge of a field. I go where others don't and I climb my big ass up in a tree and I hunt them where they live. I've taken frontal shots before and they are just as deadly as a broadside shot if placed correctly. Obviously mine wasn't. I won't make that shot again with a crossbow. I would make that same shot with my shotgun or 45-70. It's a heart punch and they die quickly.

It's easier to tell people how virtuous you are than to tell them about your mistakes. Up until that day, I would have made that same shot if it was a doe or a 6 pointer. I don't trophy hunt and never have. I put hours in the stand. Not in a box blind on the edge of a field. I go where others don't and I climb my big ass up in a tree and I hunt them where they live. I've taken frontal shots before and they are just as deadly as a broadside shot if placed correctly. Obviously mine wasn't. I won't make that shot again with a crossbow. I would make that same shot with my shotgun or 45-70. It's a heart punch and they die quickly.
It's all good. You did your best. And you made a good effort to recover the deer. If it was perfection every time, it would be called something else. There's a good chance the arrow hit a twig, that's all it would take. You learned something and you won't make the same mistake again. That's the best any of us can do. If you were into it to injure deer, that'd be a whole different story. We all strive to make a good clean kill and respect the animal. That's what it's all about along with feeding your family

It's all good. You did your best. And you made a good effort to recover the deer. If it was perfection every time, it would be called something else. There's a good chance the arrow hit a twig, that's all it would take. You learned something and you won't make the same mistake again. That's the best any of us can do. If you were into it to injure deer, that'd be a whole different story. We all strive to make a good clean kill and respect the animal. That's what it's all about along with feeding your family

I haven't slept good since. This one hit me in the guts. Not a good feeling.

Back
Top Bottom