1 Question?

You guys are thinking too short-term

I'm taking my old flintlock, I will LITERALLY never run out of ammo (I can and have made my own blackpowder from scratch before, it will work in the gun, and for bullets all I need is access to annything lead, I have made a bunch from old tire weights that work fine)

You can only scavenge for so long before you have to start producing for yourselves

Just my .02

You guys are thinking too short-term

I'm taking my old flintlock, I will LITERALLY never run out of ammo (I can and have made my own blackpowder from scratch before, it will work in the gun, and for bullets all I need is access to annything lead, I have made a bunch from old tire weights that work fine)

You can only scavenge for so long before you have to start producing for yourselves

Just my .02

Black powder rifle (for the reasons you cited) was one of three weapons that I considered but was not my final choice. If the mother of all SHTF events occurred......the early stages is where I want to have the ability to make multiple shots in short period of time.....the blackpowder rifle just does not cut it when it comes to that requirement. That said if it comes to where using an AR is no longer viable.........I can build a black powder rifle.......it is relatively easy....even a caveman can do it :D

Lol I should have written a disclaimer, I only have a handfull of neighbors even close to me, so I would be relatively safe from the mass chaos (unless I went looking for trouble, in which case its AK time). Not only that, but I also ALWAYS have my pistol on me, so if I did miss with my first shot I have an immediate back-up (not in the rules of this thread, but it is the truth)

I would most likely carry a 4" 357MAG wheelgun with a pocketful of some heavy 357, some light 38 wadcutters, and a couple shot shells.

It's sort of the same idea as the versatile shotgun but a LOT easier to tote around.

While I understand the 22lr thoughts, I lean toward my Kel tec sub 2000 in glock 9mm with several (6) 33 rd mags. Nice to have a rifle that mags/ammo also interchanges wiith my glock 17 side arm.
i52.tinypic.com_2jeefpu.jpg

What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^357mag scoped.

A scope would be nice for sure, I just prefer adjustable target sights on mine for more precise zeroing than fixed sights but compactness and durability of not having "optics."

I am just not a shotgun fan really. I love shooting them but they don't serve a survival role well for me due to the size, limited capacity, and weight of ammo. A centerfire handgun and 22lr rifle do everything for me that a shotgun does but ammo is much lighter and easier to carry. With light .38 WC loads you're basically doing the job of a 22 also - popping squirrels and birds out of trees.

If you are able to stay in one place with lots of ammo and the ability to swap out barrels a shotgun would be great, but if I had to either hike a few miles in the mountains in a survival situation or walk down the road to get water in a SHTF situation I would rather have a handgun on my hip than a long gun.

Back
Top Bottom