• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

—GONE— House plans for free

Status
Not open for further replies.
Retired Electrical Engineer and self builder. You may be an exception and I hope you are.

Should I throw your entire profession/trade under the bus because of this guy?

322E1C90-F6E0-4851-B13D-1E856DD15697.jpeg

How about a little professional courtesy, brother?

My 30+ years in commercial / residential building has taught me that an architect that has a good structural engineer and electrical engineer are worth their weight in gold. Now, that means one that will listen to what the client needs and advise accordingly. They can win battles in the county /city/ state planning dept for you.
AND... I’ve seen instances where a builder “thought” he knew more than an architect and it wasn’t pretty. Just my 02.

My 30+ years in commercial / residential building has taught me that an architect that has a good structural engineer and electrical engineer are worth their weight in gold. Now, that means one that will listen to what the client needs and advise accordingly. They can win battles in the county /city/ state planning dept for you.
AND... I’ve seen instances where a builder “thought” he knew more than an architect and it wasn’t pretty. Just my 02.

30 years in residential? You’ll be receiving a tall crown in heaven one day, my friend!

I do not do residential (in my practice) since the arrival of HGTV. It destroyed public perception and understanding of the role of design and engineering. In 30-60 minutes, the entire design is complete, perfectly coordinated in the field with existing conditions and the CO from building department is always on time. They NEVER include design and engineering time or costs in the budget reports and most of the shows don’t even include the labor cost, just the materials and equipment costs, which by the way, are deeply discounted (or donated) to pay for the TV time.

Design, engineering and construction isn’t easy, but done correctly, it looks that way!

Thanks to HGTV, everyone is a residential design, engineering and construction expert...

...until they aren’t.

30 years in residential? You’ll be receiving a tall crown in heaven one day, my friend!

I do not do residential (in my practice) since the arrival of HGTV. It destroyed public perception and understanding of the role of design and engineering. In 30-60 minutes, the entire design is complete, perfectly coordinated in the field with existing conditions and the CO from building department is always on time. They NEVER include design and engineering time or costs in the budget reports and most of the shows don’t even include the labor cost, just the materials and equipment costs, which by the way, are deeply discounted (or donated) to pay for the TV time.

Design, engineering and construction isn’t easy, but done correctly can be very rewarding!

Thanks to HGTV, everyone is a residential design, engineering and construction expert...

...until they aren’t.
Been retired three years now. My field was mainly commercial building with some “high end” residential at times. I agree with you on what those shows have done for the industry and the false expectations they have caused with people who are looking to build or remodel. Yea, CO’s on time with no issues?? I could probably count on one hand the number of permanent first time CO’s vs Temps just to get the client in and operating.

Edit: I despise residential. I don’t have the patience needed.

Tough crowd.

After 30+ years in practice, listening to and careful delivering the needs of my clients, it’s disappointing how so many “builders” publicly bash the entire profession.

Hope that the public doesn’t judge and condemn YOUR profession over the “bad eggs” who practice in it.

theres a lot of bad builders out there for sure. Same as any other occupation.
Finding a competent honest auto mechanic is the easiest thing to do either.

I can say that everyone ive hired to do work for me from the ODT was outstanding. From electrictians to safe movers etc

If there is a residential architect who wants to look at my sketches PM me please.

Tough crowd.

After 30+ years in practice, listening to and careful delivering the needs of my clients, it’s disappointing how so many “builders” publicly bash the entire profession.

Hope that the public doesn’t judge and condemn YOUR profession over the “bad eggs” who practice in it.

I had an uncle who was a notable architect in Atlanta. My father was a notable commercial construction superintendent in Atlanta. Our holiday dinners were always lively.

I had an uncle who was a notable architect in Atlanta. My father was a notable commercial construction superintendent in Atlanta. Our holiday dinners were always lively.
Ain't no 'builder' in Georgia or any other state gonna spec you out a building for more than a 3-4 floor walkup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom