• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

—GONE— House plans for free

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes, already met with one like that, more interested on cosmetic “looks” than practicality. I’m probably looking for a frank lloyd Wright -meets- Jeremiah Johnson design :lol:
Not sure where you live, but possibly the biggest obstacle will be getting the building permit from those whose only real interest is maximizing the taxes they can collect.

If you already have the cash, that's good, but when a bank is involved, you are probably going to feel like you just had a Sandusky penn-state shower.

If this is going to be your forever house, think about what you'll need when you get old. Things like 36" doors everywhere and eliminate steps will make getting old a lot easier. We have 1 step up from the garage and 36" doors, just in case this is our forever house.
X2 you gonna get old if you live long enough.

I’ve only met with one residential Architect, she drove out of athens to our site and listen to our ideas with mine stressing single gable, no dormers and I preferred hardi siding. Week or so later she came back pushing her previous clients home design with granite (stone?) siding, multi gables with seemingly 12-12 pitch.. err nope

house will be nestled deep in the back woods., for the most part no one will see it, so I'm looking for low maintenance exterior construction.

Hoping to build about where I'm standing taking the photo.

NFcvU3Jl.jpg
Looks beautiful definitely a nice porch to look across that view.you gonna need a long range rifle setup.

So are you a contractor or tradesman? Guessing you are somehow related to the trades the way you are throwing architects under the bus.
That’s been my experience as well.

It seems that the architects main goal is to make your house as expensive as possible.
That also applies to commercial buildings.
In the addition to our commercial building they wanted metal halide lights under a breezeway canopy. $750 each, when a regular can light with a 50 cent normal light bulb accomplishes the same thing.

for my garage and apartment on top I want to build , the architect wants full height poured concrete walls all around the lower floor even though the lower floor is going to be 5 feet below grade on one long side and half of a short side.

He wants scissor trusses instead of normal 2x6 rafters .

we finally just cut our losses,
Paid him for the time he’s spent .
It’s my garage apartment . I just want a box over a basement.
I don’t need or want a architectural statement to show the world.

Then Just showed the builder the sketches we had already made. And the stuff the architect did.

“Why is he specifying a steel I beam ?
A double wood beam will support the load , is a lot cheaper and much easier to install. Why does he have the floor trusses doing this?”
Etc etc

tak to the builder you want to use and see what they suggest. the builder is the one that’s gotta make it actually happen in real life.

That’s been my experience as well.

It seems that the architects main goal is to make your house as expensive as possible.
That also applies to commercial buildings.
In the addition to our commercial building they wanted metal halide lights under a breezeway canopy. $750 each, when a regular can light with a 50 cent normal light bulb accomplishes the same thing.

for my garage and apartment on top I want to build , the architect wants full height poured concrete walls all around the lower floor even though the lower floor is going to be 5 feet below grade on one long side and half of a short side.

He wants scissor trusses instead of normal 2x6 rafters .

we finally just cut our losses,
Paid him for the time he’s spent .
It’s my garage apartment . I just want a box over a basement.
I don’t need or want a architectural statement to show the world.

Then Just showed the builder the sketches we had already made. And the stuff the architect did.

“Why is he specifying a steel I beam ?
A double wood beam will support the load , is a lot cheaper and much easier to install. Why does he have the floor trusses doing this?”
Etc etc

tak to the builder you want to use and see what they suggest. the builder is the one that’s gotta make it actually happen in real life.

Tough crowd.

After 30+ years in practice, listening to and careful delivering the needs of my clients, it’s disappointing how so many “builders” publicly bash the entire profession.

Hope that the public doesn’t judge and condemn YOUR profession over the “bad eggs” who practice in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom