• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any IT folks here? We have nearly 800MBPS to the house but in the house the wireless is much slower

testdepth

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
51   0
Reaction score
We pay for 1gig service. We have verified the fiber coming in is nearly 800MBPS. Our router is brand new and can handle well over 1gig. The houses internal wireless is where the speed loss is. Computers and laptops getting only 100MBPS to 300MBPS. Any suggestions?

Can you give some model descriptions on equipment in use? How many devices? Square footage of house? Where is router relative to wireless devices? Distance from router to devices? Number and type of walls? Have you tested close to router vs. distant?

As soon as you get your 800MBPS signal onto wireless for that last haul to your consumer device, you're subject to all the limitations of WiFi. 2.4 or 5 GHz, multiple connections etc. WiFi routers are computers too, and as rbstern rbstern says - there are WiFi routers and there are WiFi routers. Cheap ones are limited in the amount of traffic they can handle.

Your household setup, including locations of antennas and beacons matters. Dense objects such as kitchen equipment, walls etc impact signal strength and thereby, throughput.

Running the numbers, a 5Ghz connection has a theoretical maximum thru'put of about 780Mbps, but in practice, your end-to-end thru'put is likely to be of the order of 200Mbps, and that's if that one connection is the only active network device going thru' your router. If you're connecting at 2.4GHz, maybe 120Mbps. A 'good' router will support 3 or 4 connections running at that kind of speed at once.

Get a wifi mesh system like the TP link Deco. We live out where 100 Mbps is the top but I can stretch our wifi out to the edge of the front of our property and still be hitting 80 Mbps. With that system, you can also restrict and prioritize devices.

Get a wifi mesh system like the TP link Deco. We live out where 100 Mbps is the top but I can stretch our wifi out to the edge of the front of our property and still be hitting 80 Mbps. With that system, you can also restrict and prioritize devices.

Not clear what he needs from the info we have. Mesh systems are great for a lot applications, but it's not useful in certain circumstances. Need to understand the OP's specifics before prescribing a cure for his wireless ailment.

Yep to everything everyone else has said, plus a question (which you likely already know but I'll throw it out there anyway).

Where your fiber comes in to the house and plugs into the provider's gateway/router, is it on one side of the house (like a lot of people's probably is)?

Many years ago I ended up running ethernet cable from the the "AT&T gateway" in my office (at one end of my house) to the living room where my wifi router is located. I disabled the AT&T gateway router's wifi since I don't want half of my wifi going to my neighbor :)

Plugged in the ethernet cable into the AT&T gateway and my wifi router so the wifi is mostly in the center of my house. It helped quite a bit to maximize wifi coverage so the entire house gets good wifi coverage.

Depending on your proximity to other houses it could be channel interference, depending on your home construction it could be material interference , depending on your equipment it could be bottlenecking

Back
Top Bottom