• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Long range deer dispatch

Me and the guy with him are going to build our own bolt guns in 6.5PRC. I am going with a Hart barrel. I still don't know what action I am going to use. I am going to start this build in the next couple months but I will be a slow non hurried build.
Defiance. Or Kelbys. Will be a good choice

How hard was the wind blowing? What make of rifle, scope and range finder? 690 yds is doable but you better have good equipment and know how to use it.

Well for me it's totally out of the realm of possiblity. However, for him I don't doubt it one bit. I do find it funny that some of these guys thinks it's impossible which to me is absurd. The lack of skills shooting or mechanical is overwhelming in here! I have seen shots on the Outdoor Channel further than that but still people doubt it can be done. City folk! That says all right there. Mountain boys were born with a lever action strapped to their back. They are hardcore up here!
It's much easier than most folks think. My Grandson shot his first long range groups a couple of weeks ago at CMP and was printing very accessible groups at 600 yards with just a lightweight youth .223. He learned to shoot correctly from the start and didn't have any bad habits to overcome, so that helped a lot.

A lot of people can and do make shots like that, especially out West. I am not one of them. There are many forums with hunters who discuss this stuff.

The question is not can it be done, it’s why? A great display of shooting skill but not really any hunting skill/woodsmanship involved. If that’s the way someone wants to do it though, so be it. It’s not my place to tell someone how to enjoy their outdoor recreation, just wouldn’t be my cup of tea. I like to get close. Great job by the successful hunter!

The question is not can it be done, it’s why? A great display of shooting skill but not really any hunting skill/woodsmanship involved. If that’s the way someone wants to do it though, so be it. It’s not my place to tell someone how to enjoy their outdoor recreation, just wouldn’t be my cup of tea. I like to get close. Great job by the successful hunter!
Agreed. Seems a bit on the unethical side but I can’t shoot like that. Probably a walk in the park for Greg’s buddy.

It's much easier than most folks think. My Grandson shot his first long range groups a couple of weeks ago at CMP and was printing very accessible groups at 600 yards with just a lightweight youth .223. He learned to shoot correctly from the start and didn't have any bad habits to overcome, so that helped a lot.
I can do 300-400 fairly easy with a good high power scope but I have never tried 700. He on the other hand, had Trijicon send him a elevation turret ballistically matched to his caliber so half the battle was built into the scope. Allow for a little wind and bingo. If the shooter does his part ( and these mountain boys can flat out shoot ) there's a good chance of success. It just kills me that there are people that just think it's impossible.

I posted some head shot deer pics on here not to long ago and those shots were up to 350 yards in distance. Needless to say there was nothing left of the head so they were completely humane kills. A little gory but humane.

How hard was the wind blowing? What make of rifle, scope and range finder? 690 yds is doable but you better have good equipment and know how to use it.
I believe THAT was the whole point of the story, the man had good equipment, and knew how to use it. Not me though…about a hundred yards is my passing on the shot range.

Back
Top Bottom