• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Long range deer dispatch

greg vess

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Elite Idiot
120   1
Reaction score
I talked to one of the 4 brothers ( I grew up with them ) I know and we were shooting the s**t just to break the boredom. He told me he had a new bolt gun he used this year during season. He doesn't get out much of reach out a lot like the other brother do but he stays in touch. Anyway I hadn't heard the lowdown on his long range kill this past season. I told to tell me all about it.

First off I want to say these boys I know up here don't play around. Most don't even own a AR rifle but out loads of money in a bolt gun build. They are bolt gun fanatics all the way. Well he bought a 6 or 6.5 PRC gun for the last deer season I can't recall exactly what caliber he said it was but one of those two. He said it was a slayer in his own words.

Well that morning a deer pokes his head out and it's a giant buck. He ranges it and it's 690 yards on the money. He makes his adjustments and drops that deer dead in his tracks. He was using Hornady ELD-M ammo. Not ELD-X but the match rounds. I will tell you one thing for sure. These mountain boys know how to shoot.

Attn: This is not a story to insight caos. Although I am sure it will, it is not meant to be. This can be verified by the hunter there with him.

It happens. But I wouldn't believe my friends.
I've known these guys for my whole life. When their mother started babysitting me I was in diapers and two of the boys weren't even born yet. She was still babysitting me when the other two came along. They have no reason to lie to me they know I can't shoot even close them or even close to them on a great day of mine. How accurate they shoot off hand is just amazing to me. But he didn't take the deer off hand. It was stable on something. One of his brothers was shooting walnuts off the top of a frame that holds the plates at 300 yards with a 6mm Creedmoor. These boys put me to shame.

Me and the guy with him are going to build our own bolt guns in 6.5PRC. I am going with a Hart barrel. I still don't know what action I am going to use. I am going to start this build in the next couple months but I will be a slow non hurried build.

Right equipment, right conditions and a bit of skill and 690 yards isn't that big a deal.
Well for me it's totally out of the realm of possiblity. However, for him I don't doubt it one bit. I do find it funny that some of these guys thinks it's impossible which to me is absurd. The lack of skills shooting or mechanical is overwhelming in here! I have seen shots on the Outdoor Channel further than that but still people doubt it can be done. City folk! That says all right there. Mountain boys were born with a lever action strapped to their back. They are hardcore up here!

Back
Top Bottom