• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Long range deer dispatch

Appreciate the story, and for the guys debating distance shots, there are plenty of guys hunting elk who hit them out to a 1,000 yards or so. I don't hunt deer, but I do hunt elk, and my first elk was killed at 635 yards. 600 yards is well within the range of a 6.5 PRC. Know your bullet performance, know your scope, know your conditions, and know your shooting positions. That's all in a day's work for a high power centerfire rifle.

I would look at a Lone Peak action, Proof barrel and a Mcmillan stock or chassis. No bedding work needed with a chassis. I am building one now and went with an AG Composites stock and hawking bottom metal and rings.

I would look at a Lone Peak action, Proof barrel and a Mcmillan stock or chassis. No bedding work needed with a chassis. I am building one now and went with an AG Composites stock and hawking bottom metal and rings.
Does McMillan have a chassis system? I know Manners does. OP isn’t going to drop any kind of money on anything but AR parts. There are tons of actions and barrel makers nowadays.

Someone said just hold for a little wind 🤣😂🤣😂 . You don't just hold for a little wind @ 700YDS you have your sh*t together. A missed wind call by 2-3 mph would be a miss. Congrats to your buddy nice shooting.

Someone said just hold for a little wind 🤣😂🤣😂 . You don't just hold for a little wind @ 700YDS you have your sh*t together. A missed wind call by 2-3 mph would be a miss. Congrats to your buddy nice shooting.
Yeah, just for those that have never done the calculation, drift of a typical 180gr bullet out of a .308 Win at 700 yards with a 10mph cross wind is over 3 feet.

Everything else can be precisely calculated, but reading the wind all the way to the target is the art of long range shooting. The way I describe it to people is that it's like trying to read a green in golf, but the green is invisible.

Back
Top Bottom