• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

2024 turkey rigs

What turkey vest is everyone running? Im looking at some of the smaller/ minimalist vests that wont end up being 50# cause i have to many pockets to put crap.

Couple on the list so far are:
Alps impact pro
Ol tom gunslinger
Tethrd M2

Anyone have experience with any of these?

What turkey vest is everyone running? Im looking at some of the smaller/ minimalist vests that wont end up being 50# cause i have to many pockets to put crap.

Couple on the list so far are:
Alps impact pro
Ol tom gunslinger
Tethrd M2

Anyone have experience with any of these?
I've got the ol tom gunslinger. I love it. I've gone through 5 different vests over the last few years and that one is the perfect one for me.

Ill be getting into the market for a turkey gun. Ive seen where a lot of folks are going back to 20 and even 410's using the TSS loads. Any suggestions welcome. Im looking at the Stevens 301 series but havent decided on 20 or 410.
My Son uses a Stevens 301 in .410 and killed his first turkey with it last year. Verdict #9.5’s made easy work of it from 40 yards. The recoil is very light, even with 3” loads.
I have a Rossi Tuffy 20 gauge that I’ve been experimenting with and I will just say that the recoil is rather harsh with 1&5/8 oz turkey loads. It will need a recoil pad for kids or recoil sensitive shooters.
I doubt that the recoil would be noticed much when shooting a turkey as opposed to when shooting a piece of paper.

I've got the ol tom gunslinger. I love it. I've gone through 5 different vests over the last few years and that one is the perfect one for me.
I need to get a new vest. My current Fieldline vest is old……like Mossy Oak Greenleaf old. lol.
It’s starting to come unraveled but I feel like I’m parting ways with an old friend each time I consider upgrading.

So, I have been researching chokes for this little Weatherby that I am trying to set up for my neighbor's kid. It looks like I am probably going to go with a Carlson choke. They make a regular extended choke in .555 and .565 constriction, but also make a TSS version with a .555, and are almost the same price. Right now, we are going to pattern it with a couple of lead shot turkey loads that I already have. But, should I buy the TSS choke, in case I decide to try the TSS loads in the future, and will lead loads pattern ok with it? This TSS stuff is all new to me.

So, I have been researching chokes for this little Weatherby that I am trying to set up for my neighbor's kid. It looks like I am probably going to go with a Carlson choke. They make a regular extended choke in .555 and .565 constriction, but also make a TSS version with a .555, and are almost the same price. Right now, we are going to pattern it with a couple of lead shot turkey loads that I already have. But, should I buy the TSS choke, in case I decide to try the TSS loads in the future, and will lead loads pattern ok with it? This TSS stuff is all new to me.
If you get one of the tighter chokes designed for tss it may be too tight for lead since the shot sizes are so different, personal experience I've had with Carlson chokes is the longbeard xr chokes work best to cover both lead shot and tss. Best lead I've had experience with in 20ga is the winchester longbeard xr shells.

If you get one of the tighter chokes designed for tss it may be too tight for lead since the shot sizes are so different, personal experience I've had with Carlson chokes is the longbeard xr chokes work best to cover both lead shot and tss. Best lead I've had experience with in 20ga is the winchester longbeard xr shells.
Thanks for your input. Looks like the choke that I was leaning towards was the .565 extended, and the Longbeard is a .568 extended and ported, so either should work pretty good. I like the ability to possibly use TSS in the future. Originally, I couldn't find the Longbeard with the thread that I need (Weatherby), but went to Carlson's website, found an item number, and tracked it down. That is probably what I will order.

Thanks for your input. Looks like the choke that I was leaning towards was the .565 extended, and the Longbeard is a .568 extended and ported, so either should work pretty good. I like the ability to possibly use TSS in the future. Originally, I couldn't find the Longbeard with the thread that I need (Weatherby), but went to Carlson's website, found an item number, and tracked it down. That is probably what I will order.
Not a problem, Carlson makes a great choke

Gonna take this old gal for a stroll through the turkey woods this year as well.
Ithaca 37. 12 gauge, 2&3/4” only. Found a Kane Gun Chap for it (you older folks will know what I’m talking about) and will put some camo soft-wrap on the barrel.
Carlsons choke and 2&3/4” Foxtrot ammo.
IMG_2785.jpeg

Got a good deal on a Bamtam 88, 22” barrel. Wanted a dedicated 20 this year, but I couldn’t see myself spending money on another 20 that I am ultimately going to modify heavily. Wanted a compact or youth model.

Tried a .555 but ultimately went with the Jebs in .560. Tight but surprisingly consistent.

UTG rail, buddy of mine let me use his milling machine to punch and tap the holes. Didn’t love the contact when mounted so used a jb weld bed in the middle (used shoe polish trick so it’s removable, only bonded to rail).

Then a rattle can distressed paint, poor man’s Rob Roberts job. I was pleased but I’m probably going to use some 1k grit to knock off the sheen from the matte clear.

Anyways fun project for me and my youngest and it patterns well so hopefully some birds will cooperate this year.
IMG_2557.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom