• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

WTH?

I won't sell a gun to someone under 21. I just don't see the benefit. Not worth it to me. I remember how stupid and immature I acted at 19. Some people are more mature. Either way I do feel comfortable doing it.... So I dont. If you do , then good for you! Sell it and move on.

Nothing. It's not a crime. It's not illegal to sell to someone over the age of 18. They just can't buy one in a gun store and they can't carry it. It's kinda stupid but then again many laws are.

Yeh, I know it's legal. Of course I remember a time when a person only had to be 18, and I remember parking at school with our rifles and shotguns hanging in the back window of our trucks. As you say, it's legal, but the right to refuse is up to the seller.

Luke

I noted I found out it wasn't a crime. Something really sounded hinky about it, though. That's why I posted the exact PM. Buying & selling on here or anywhere is up to the individuals. But just let a teenager buy one and go do something stupid with it, and I'll bet you go broke from defending yourself in lawsuits up the wazoo.

I noted I found out it wasn't a crime. Something really sounded hinky about it, though. That's why I posted the exact PM. Buying & selling on here or anywhere is up to the individuals. But just let a teenager buy one and go do something stupid with it, and I'll bet you go broke from defending yourself in lawsuits up the wazoo.

Very true.

I won't sell a gun to someone under 21. I just don't see the benefit. Not worth it to me. I remember how stupid and immature I acted at 19. Some people are more mature. Either way I do feel comfortable doing it.... So I dont. If you do , then good for you! Sell it and move on.

While the only people under the age of 21 that I have given a gun to is my young'uns, I can't say the same thing about being immature at a young age. I received my first rifle at the age of 8 years old. Another rifle and shotgun came before I was 12 and I received my first handgun at 14. I've pretty much carried a handgun since I got my driver's license. Kids today are not that mature, shoot, must adults aren't.

I have always been of the opinion though, that if you could carry a gun for your country, then owning one and drinking shouldn't be an issue.

You do make a good point there Luke:
While the only people under the age of 21 that I have given a gun to is my young'uns, I can't say the same thing about being immature at a young age. I received my first rifle at the age of 8 years old. Another rifle and shotgun came before I was 12 and I received my first handgun at 14. I've pretty much carried a handgun since I got my driver's license. Kids today are not that mature, shoot, must adults aren't.

I have always been of the opinion though, that if you could carry a gun for your country, then owning one and drinking shouldn't be an issue.

That has always pissed me off. In '68 they were drafting and training us to go to Nam to kill or be killed and yet we were unable to buy a beer. Did get some 3.2 beer once, should have saved my money and drank water. :(

+1 Yep, getting drafted during the Vietnam era was really something; you could "own" assorted weapons, but couldn't buy a beer or get a loan without an "adult" co-signer.