• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Woodworking Materials

That's some awesome work. I'm looking to make a rectangle box as we have to keep the ashes sealed in the original box from the funeral home, this is required by Arlington. They will not accept partial or opened remains.
it is good workmanship, but hardly awesome except for the inherent beauty in even the most blase' of woods. I never made one that was so bad it wouldn't burn.

You are making a box to transport or bury? Lots of good advice on here...the other option is veneer.

You could make a box out of 1/4 or 1/8 plywood with a nice veneer as the outside of the box. If you want something 10-12 inches wide, you might not be able to find exactly what you are looking for, but consider gluing up 6 inch wide pieces to make your finished width.

As mentioned, cabinet maker or Highland Hardware in Atlanta.

Also, look for a lumber supplier other than HD or Lowes. Sometimes they have something in stock or will know where to get it. I think Suwanee Lumber Co has some fancier stuff. I know they have hardwood veneered plywood that would work.

Careful what you pick. Solid walnut is a lot harder to work with than oak.

1x12 might be your issue. If you don't want to use veneer plywood, I'd glue a few 1x4s together to have a stripe in the middle.
upload_2021-6-29_15-59-1.png

My experience with my sons cremates was that they came in a plastic box from the funeral home. It wasn't regular thin plastic and didn't flex. I bought an urn after carrying him around in the box for a few years. Wife and I had to destroy the box to get the ashes out. They were in a heavy clear plastic bag with a rubber band holding the top closed. They were a bit big to fit in the urn so we had to take off the rubber band and kind of mold the bag so it would go through the top and once in, put the rubber band back in, added a couple of keepsakes and closed it up. He'll sit on the mantle till wife and I are past and then we will all be taken to the family plot and interred with grandmom and granddad on wife's side. All preplanned with the cemetery and prepaid.

Not sure what they will let you bury in Arlington. You could just as easily (but for probably more money) get a cremates coffin from the funeral home that would save you a whole lot of work.

Sorry, after all that I read where the cremates box has to be intact in the new box. So my urn info does not apply.

Blessing to your dad and thanks to him for his service.

You are making a box to transport or bury? Lots of good advice on here...the other option is veneer.

You could make a box out of 1/4 or 1/8 plywood with a nice veneer as the outside of the box. If you want something 10-12 inches wide, you might not be able to find exactly what you are looking for, but consider gluing up 6 inch wide pieces to make your finished width.

Thanks for the advice. The box is only for display at his celebration of life here locally. I'll put the cardboard box from the funeral home inside this box.

Looks like I'll be making a trip to Suwanee Lumber Company as they are not too far.

Hi! my name is Moose and I am a wood-o-holic. I can't throw away even the smallest scrap. I make these canisters out of scraps by beveling the sides of appropriately sized pieces and gluing them up like the staves in a barrel, turn it round inside and out, add a top, bottom, and knob.....

They average about 8-9 inches in diameter,and 7-8 inches high depending on which suitable scraps are at hand that day. I give everything I make away free as as I loose interest when fiat currency is involved.

What volume of ash are we talking about? The top one is tiger maple, and the bottom one is run of the mill cypress.

If you are just interested in wood, there should be a woodcraft supply in Atlanta. Highland hardware is also good...very good

View attachment 3332031 View attachment 3332032
THIS IS YOUR GUYS ^^^^^^

Awesome JOB...

Back
Top Bottom