• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Woodworking Materials

cpw006

Default rank <3500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
50   0
Reaction score
I've been tasked by my sisters with making a decorative wood box to hold my father's ashes until his funeral at Arlington. We're having a celebration of life and they want something more appealing than the cardboard box the funeral home provided us with.

I'm having trouble finding somewhere local that carries decorative wood in stock, specifically 1x12 or 1x10. If anyone has any leads on some nice walnut, maple, oak, cherry, or similar types of wood I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm located in the Loganville area, but would be willing to drive a little bit for somewhere that has a good selection of materials.

I've been tasked by my sisters with making a decorative wood box to hold my father's ashes until his funeral at Arlington. We're having a celebration of life and they want something more appealing than the cardboard box the funeral home provided us with.

I'm having trouble finding somewhere local that carries decorative wood in stock, specifically 1x12 or 1x10. If anyone has any leads on some nice walnut, maple, oak, cherry, or similar types of wood I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm located in the Loganville area, but would be willing to drive a little bit for somewhere that has a good selection of materials.

Have you checked Rockler? The one in Sandy Springs looks to be the closer one to you.
https://www.rockler.com/retail/stores/ga/sandy-springs-store

Sorry to hear about your father.
Lowes and Depot still carry a selection of nicer hardwood to choose from. Saw it just today while getting raped on some 2X lumber!

Go to www.rockler.com. They have s lot of unusual wood. I bought some great ebony from them

Hi! my name is Moose and I am a wood-o-holic. I can't throw away even the smallest scrap. I make these canisters out of scraps by beveling the sides of appropriately sized pieces and gluing them up like the staves in a barrel, turn it round inside and out, add a top, bottom, and knob.....

They average about 8-9 inches in diameter,and 7-8 inches high depending on which suitable scraps are at hand that day. I give everything I make away free as as I loose interest when fiat currency is involved.

What volume of ash are we talking about? The top one is tiger maple, and the bottom one is run of the mill cypress.

If you are just interested in wood, there should be a woodcraft supply in Atlanta. Highland hardware is also good...very good

MAPLE ROUND BOX (3).jpg
cypress round box.JPG

Sorry to hear about your father.
Lowes and Depot still carry a selection of nicer hardwood to choose from. Saw it just today while getting raped on some 2X lumber!

Our Home Depot only had a tiny selection of specialty lumber, maybe I'll check out Lowe's before I head to the other locations mentioned above.

Hi! my name is Moose and I am a wood-o-holic. I can't throw away even the smallest scrap. I make these canisters out of scraps by beveling the sides of appropriately sized pieces and gluing them up like the staves in a barrel, turn it round inside and out, add a top, bottom, and knob.....

They average about 8-9 inches in diameter,and 7-8 inches high depending on which suitable scraps are at hand that day. I give everything I make away free as as I loose interest when fiat currency is involved.

What volume of ash are we talking about? The top one is tiger maple, and the bottom one is run of the mill cypress.

If you are just interested in wood, there should be a woodcraft supply in Atlanta. Highland hardware is also good...very good

View attachment 3332031 View attachment 3332032

That's some awesome work. I'm looking to make a rectangle box as we have to keep the ashes sealed in the original box from the funeral home, this is required by Arlington. They will not accept partial or opened remains.

Back
Top Bottom