• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Woman killed by her own 2 dogs while on a walk?

Do you think theres ALOT more to this story?

• Total voters
Except the evidence continues to pile up that pits and pit mixes kill people with a frequency not seen with other canine breeds.
I see your point but excuse it because of certain statistical refernces you have made.

A lot of dog bites world wide are often miscategorized by other similar breeds ( example: dog argentino, mastifs, certain brendels, presi canori, etc) yet have not a drop of American pit or any other.

But even if you were completely right and the dogs were proven with out a doubt dangerous to society, whats your solution? kill.em? make them illigal to own or with out certain requitements e.i. licences, etc?

This is not an emotional arguement for me as i have mostly always had German Shepherds or similar breeds, but i would like to hear the proposed solution.

I see your point but excuse it because of certain statistical refernces you have made.

A lot of dog bites world wide are often miscategorized by other similar breeds ( example: dog argentino, mastifs, certain brendels, presi canori, etc) yet have not a drop of American pit or any other.

But even if you were completely right and the dogs were proven with out a doubt dangerous to society, whats your solution? kill.em? make them illigal to own or with out certain requitements e.i. licences, etc?

This is not an emotional arguement for me as i have mostly always had German Shepherds or similar breeds, but i would like to hear the proposed solution.

Thanks for the question.

I have libertarian tendency, so I'm not a big fan of banning things. Mostly, I want people to have realistic expectations about the potential consequences of choosing APBT (or mix) as a domestic companion. The vast majority of the time, it works out fine. But the times it doesn't, it can be devastating. Families with young children need to be extremely cautious in their approach.

The story we saw a few months ago in Hartwell is a great case in point: Mother and grandmother were APBT advocates. They owned at least two generations of pits. But the family APBTs killed the toddler son/grandson. A quick look at Facebook showed pictures of the kid, both as an infant and a toddler, posed with the pit bulls, with all of the usual "Wouldn't hurt a fly," "it's the owner, not the dog" refrains.

I believe the frequency of attacks is based on genetics and circumstances. When the wrong genes and the wrong circumstances cross paths, these dogs become lethal, even to their human family, and it's really hard to predict what brings that about. More research would be useful.

I also believe that, given the current trajectory, a lot of municipalities will ban the breed, and eventually most, if not all homeowners insurers will refuse to issue policies for households with APBTs, and have clauses that specifically deny payouts for APBT attacks.

Lord, I'm not even gonna read anymore of this thread, after the first page. Personally, I hate pit bulls, and pity the many families who have lost children or family members to that breed. And yes, I realize there are other violent breeds out there. I'm not into banning dogs or things, and hate to see more govt regulation. So I'll leave it at this, if someone owns one fine, I know people love them, but I think if your dog kills me or my child, or anyone, I think the owner should be held responsible and punished by law as anyone would who kills someone else. Your dog is an extension of you, and you're 100% responsible, no court or trial, you get a sentence and serve your time in Fed prison, min 20 yrs. The only work around would be if the dog was defending the owners life, no excuses for "well my dog thought that guy was gonna hurt me". The owner has to be attacked in his home. If it happens on the street, and the dead guy hasn't a criminal record, you go to jail, no monopoly get out of jail card.

I don't feel like debating anyone here. Yall can hate me, I don't care. I only care for the lives lost to those dogs, and want to see the reckless owners held responsible.

I think the public and those who think those dogs are so cool to own would take better responsibility if they were actually held responsible for their dogs actions.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

So now we are getting more information about this.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/dogs-went-drastic-lifestyle-changes-031458173.html

This sounds like they may have been driven mad by neglect and hunger. I can see where if they were desperate for food and unstable from exposure, then found something edible on the walk that mom didn't want them to eat and she tried to take it away from them... she became the meal.

I don't agree with this trainer that a lack of socialization would do this, but isolation in combination with starvation, exposure to extreme temperatures and possibly being left trapped in their own waste could definitely have made them literally insane.

These things could cause this in any dog and probably most humans, too.

How’d I miss this idk, but let me read everything first. But they don’t snap or turn on their owners, animals do things for a reason, something happen. But I digress, let me read all the bs comments on here

Purely anecdotal, but I've been taking my Weimaraner pup to the dog park a lot lately. For the most part, all of the dogs are well adjusted and well-behaved, including a lot of pits and pit mixes. However, when there's a scrape between two or more dogs, more often than not, it involves pits and pit mixes.

Today, a recently rescued cattle dog that seemed a bit "off," had a meltdown and absolutely wailed on a really sedate Golden Retriever. The cattle dog owner was near hysterical and did a crappy job of gaining control of her dog, so I waded in and grabbed the cattle dog to keep it off the Golden. When the she finally gets the harness on it and things are calming down, it breaks the harness and immediately starts wailing on the Golden again. And did some damage. Now it doesn't have a collar on it, so I just grab it by the shoulders and hold it down while she leashes it.

The entire time, all I was thinking: "Please, please, please...don't trigger any of the pits here into fighting mode." That's what I always fear about pits. I've known some great ones, but you just can't know what might flip that fight switch. And good luck turning it off if it goes.
Most people would think two pits playing is fighting, they play harder than normal

I will be the first to make an ass out of myself.
Based only on anecdotal evidence, I think the American Pit Bull Terriers are, today, a defective breed that is too prone to be viscious or at least unpredictable-- they can snap and turn on people (or other pets) without warning.
I'm not saying they should be banned, but a pit bull is to the dog world what a Draco AK pattern pistol is to the gun world. It's not the same level of risk if it goes bad.
Nope, I've never owned one. I'm sure the great majority of them haven't killed or maimed any people (yet).
(Just kidding about the "yet." I know most will NEVER injure a human.)
Really now, evidence lol, yet they have one of the highest scores in temperament testing

Thanks for the question.

I have libertarian tendency, so I'm not a big fan of banning things. Mostly, I want people to have realistic expectations about the potential consequences of choosing APBT (or mix) as a domestic companion. The vast majority of the time, it works out fine. But the times it doesn't, it can be devastating. Families with young children need to be extremely cautious in their approach.

The story we saw a few months ago in Hartwell is a great case in point: Mother and grandmother were APBT advocates. They owned at least two generations of pits. But the family APBTs killed the toddler son/grandson. A quick look at Facebook showed pictures of the kid, both as an infant and a toddler, posed with the pit bulls, with all of the usual "Wouldn't hurt a fly," "it's the owner, not the dog" refrains.

I believe the frequency of attacks is based on genetics and circumstances. When the wrong genes and the wrong circumstances cross paths, these dogs become lethal, even to their human family, and it's really hard to predict what brings that about. More research would be useful.

I also believe that, given the current trajectory, a lot of municipalities will ban the breed, and eventually most, if not all homeowners insurers will refuse to issue policies for households with APBTs, and have clauses that specifically deny payouts for APBT attacks.
I read a lot of these stories and the more I always research them or carefully read the details, the more I find reasons why the dogs attacked. They don’t just attack the child for no reason

Back
Top Bottom