• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Wolf A1 complete upper $559 shipped

External piston AR15s make me gag. The genius of the AR15 design is its internal gas piston system and how this allows for less total mass reciprocating and this mass reciprocating perfectly in line with the bore. Going to an external gas piston completely gives up these advantages for an unsubstantiated notion of increased reliability.

External piston AR15s make me gag. The genius of the AR15 design is its internal gas piston system and how this allows for less total mass reciprocating and this mass reciprocating perfectly in line with the bore. Going to an external gas piston completely gives up these advantages for an unsubstantiated notion of increased reliability.

Internal gas piston???

I promise you you don't feel extra recoil from a piston AR. And piston ARs have thier advantages over a DI gun

Internal gas piston???

I promise you you don't feel extra recoil from a piston AR. And piston ARs have thier advantages over a DI gun
The bolt and carrier of an AR15's BCG work as a gas powered piston to cycle. There is, objectively, extra recoil (as more mass is reciprocating) and more muzzle rise (as this extra mass is cycling above the line of the bore and therefore above the shooter's shoulder) from an external piston design.

The only supposed advantage of an external piston design is reliability, but in practice the standard AR15 design proves itself to be at least as reliable.

The bolt and carrier of an AR15's BCG work as a gas powered piston to cycle. There is, objectively, extra recoil (as more mass is reciprocating) and more muzzle rise (as this extra mass is cycling above the line of the bore and therefore above the shooter's shoulder) from an external piston design.

The only supposed advantage of an external piston design is reliability, but in practice the standard AR15 design proves itself to be at least as reliable.

@Necrosis :faint:

So you are making the bcg a piston? That's a huge stretch of the imagination. I am not really sure how to respond to such a crazy notion.

Back
Top Bottom