WMAs for squirrels

Throw black seeds and corn out a few days before you hunt it... you know for the birds

Paulding forest is pretty bare for squirrel. There are better WMA's out there.

Not So.Paulding is loaded with greys,and some of the pine areas have fox squirrels.I don`t kill the foxes,as they are tough unless you pressure cook`em a lot.Still.....Squirrels don`t come out in the winter every day,much less on bad weather mornings.When it warms,afternoons are the best.I usually sit in a spot,starting at 3pm,for about 30-45 min.then move if nothing is moving.Hunt hardwoods for greys,with den trees or a lot of leafbeds with this-year`s leaves.An hour before dark,I can usually get 5 or 6 without getting up,then I go collect them.I use a scoped .22 mag.ALL WMAs have a good squirrel population.You just have to know how to hunt them.As for a lack of acorns,hunt the pines.Look for pine petals under the trees,where the critters have eaten the seeds out and stripped the cone.Longleaf pines are the preference of fox squirrels.

Last edited:
Wasn't just you having a hard time today. The boy and I hunted for a couple hours this morning and the woods were dead. The kid did find a lone fox squirrel on the edge of the orchard in the top of a pine and opened his ear hole to .22". Just wasn't a good day to be out.

Nick T

Back
Top Bottom