• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Squirrels

Where in Redlands did you go? I squirrel hunt there a lot. December, when there was no rifle deer hunting, was outstanding. That's the squirrel "rut" . January and February are the toughest months for squirrel hunting which is a shame because deer season is over and we have the woods to ourselves.

Easy to use. Dont have to move much. Mine is 40+ years old 👍😁🇺🇸
It really gets them “talking back” so you can pinpoint their location and start blasting. Mine came with a “distress whistle” and a VHS tape of squirrel hunting and how to use the call. The tape is long gone. Still have and use both calls.

No Need for BOOLITS at my house. I got me a Punkin!! IMG_4697.PNG

One of my buddys is a 2 time national champion. But he uses dogs. I didn’t know there was such a thing until I started talking to him. He got 4th or 5th this last time it his dog is young. Kinda like coon hunting.

Bring a good pair of binoculars and scan the trees for holes. Late season squirrel hunting should be based around the location of den trees. Holes will be 3-4” in diameter and will be nice and round in shape. If there is no activity around den trees after a while, I’d move on.

Another good thing to do is to scan the tree tops early in the morning. Squirrels will stretch out on a limb and warm their bodies in the sun on the cooler mornings. Be sure to check horizontal limbs directly above squirrel nests for squirrels that are sunning too.

I also check around the bases of pine trees for chewed or discarded pine cones or pieces of pine cones. Acorns are in short supply and squirrels will often forage on the pine nuts within the cones.
Some good info here. Warmer days, after cold or windy days, are better this time of year. I see more the last hour before dark. Yesterday, in the 60s temp, they were everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom