• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Windows 8?

Chuckdog

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
11   0
Reaction score
I'm in the multifunction copy/scan/print business, so keeping up with the industry is more of a full time job than I care for at times.

A couple of weeks back I upgraded a new Windows 7 laptop to 8 Pro. I started with trying to upgrade without a clean install, but that didn't work out so well. After the clean install it works great, but for me it's not nearly as intuitive as I've read.

From my perspective some things are almost counter intuitive.

Anyone else have more experience working with 8? What's your impressions? I'd be interested both from a workplace and home use standpoint?

Thanks' in advance, CD

Last edited:
Haven't tried it myself yet but I hear you can buy a $5 app that gives you the start menu back and all is good at that point :)

oh and my condolences for being in the multifunction copy/scan/print businees, I hate those machines :smash:

Ok so I'm a mac guy. Let's get that out of the way. But I am not a complete bigot. I give a thumbs up for Microsoft in trying to create something new.
Many may not believe it, but in less than 10 years most people will be using something more like a "tablet" than a PC for our primary information access device. Windows as we know it is not going to cut it with the finger tips.

I have win 8 on a VM and have experimented some with it.

Metro is an interesting concept that does not just try to copy iOS. I give it credit for trying to bridge that PC/Table gap. From what i've seen the PC side does not really suffer from the new interface. We did without the start menu before and we can do it again. I am a die-hard xp user (when I have to use a pc) but I know that the 21st century is going to require a change. MS has taken that step and we must at least check it out. I am actually interested in working more with it.
(Not going to get an MS tablet though :) )

I'm seeing more and more Apple products being integrated into the corporate world. There are more folks that use the same products at work and home now.

I'm much more comfortable with a Mac than I am with 8. In comparison, that's the counter intuitive aspect I was citing.

Wish they'd leave good enough alone, just got use to Windows 7.

Nick T

Then stick with it. The one PC I keep running around the house is still running Windows XP Pro. I removed windows 7 to install XP on it when my company sent it to me. That said, I try to stick to my Macs.

I'm in the multifunction copy/scan/print business, so keeping up with the industry is more of a full time job than I care for at times.

A couple of weeks back I upgraded a new Windows 7 laptop to 8 Pro. I started with trying to upgrade without a clean install, but that didn't work out so well. After the clean install it works great, but for me it's not nearly as intuitive as I've read.

From my perspective some things are almost counter intuitive.

Anyone else have more experience working with 8? What's your impressions? I'd be interested both from a workplace and home use standpoint?

Thanks' in advance, CD

You don't work for Superior or Carrolton do you?

I love my Macs and the fact that everything can sync between them instantly. I love windows 7 for my PC desktop. Not a fan of windows 8.

I haven't tried it, but based on the past products from Microsoft....

win82.jpg

Back
Top Bottom