• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Winchester Wins Contract for Next Gen Squad Weapon Ammo

So Winchester will do the production for whatever the final round is to be? I wonder what this does to SIG's prospects for the 277 fury?

For those that don't know, the round is doing around 3k from a 16" barrel with a 130 to 150 grain bullet. Super high pressures in a bimetal cartridge case.

It’s a screamer for sure. Very interesting caliber, and they’re even claiming a barrel life that is surprising good for the velocity/bore size. Not .308 good, but surprisingly good for what it is.

It surprised me.

I had 5 students in that class, and I chrono’ed all their loads. 4 shot factory loads, and 1 shot handloads. The Winchester/LC M118LR had the least extreme spread of them all, even better than the handload.

2 of the other factory loads were Hornady Match 6.5 Creedmoor. The 140grn ELD load had an ES of 32fps for 10 rounds. The 147grn ELD load had an ES of 28fps for 10 rounds.

The other factory load was FGMM 175grn .308, and I don’t remember the ES, but I want to say it was in the low-mid 20’s.

Last load was a 6.5CM, and I believe the ES was also in the low-mid 20’s.

The M118LR was run out of custom rifle built on a Rem700 action by HD Rifles, with (I believe) a Shilen barrel, 18” 1/10”. With an ES of 12fps, it was very consistent at 1,000yds.

All of those #'s sound very good to me, especially for rifle rounds. Even the Hornady 140gr. 32 fps spread over 10 shots is not enough difference to make a difference. Not within my range, anyway.

I'm glad for Winchester ammo.

All of those #'s sound very good to me, especially for rifle rounds. Even the Hornady 140gr. 32 fps spread over 10 shots is not enough difference to make a difference. Not within my range, anyway.

I'm glad for Winchester ammo.

It makes a rather significant difference at 1,000yds, but most folks ain’t shooting that far.

I've heard that the M118LR was a great load. I havent secured any, but will try to this year.

I chrono’ed some M118LR ammo loaded by the Winchester-operated Lake City plant. For 15 rounds, it had an extreme spread of 12fps. That’s phenomenal for factory-loaded ammo.

Back
Top Bottom