• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Winchester 1886 (Miroku) Trigger Work

Sharps40

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
4   0
Reaction score
7 lbs 4 oz and a good bit of takeup/creep before it breaks clean.

i.imgur.com_S2NZB.jpg

Standard Winchester rebounding trigger assembly (the new age trigger system for the 94 and 86) and folks say it can't be improved. I heartly disagree with the nay sayers.

The lower leg, on the left) of the strut is the rebound that kicks the hammer off the inertial firing pin and back to the half cock shelf (not a notch since the half cock shelf in no way catches and retains the hammer like the old style captive notch.)

i.imgur.com_ceGrr.jpg

Way down in the groove, under the hammer strut and on the lower left is the offending lawyer spring that returns the trigger to rest position. Quite a heavy flat spring with a harsh bend down to require manhandling the trigger instead of finessing it.

i.imgur.com_T1E7R.jpg

Ah the 1886, several more internal parts than a 94 and a good bit more difficult to disassemble. Specially since it sat dry in a safe since new in 2001....its never been fired, don't think its ever been cycled....till I got it that is. See that S shaped bar, center right? That connects the lever to the lifter it fits over/under and thru two parts simultaneously and is the reason this first reassembly took an extra hour to accomplish. A few more times apart and I think I'll have it down to lickety split, we'll see. It'll have to come apart once Black Powder starts burnin thru the barrel and the works. Can't have it rustin up the guts.

i.imgur.com_ORQbN.jpg

Here the lawyer trigger return spring is out of the lower tang. Note the harsh bend where the foot contacts the lip of the trigger....lots of down force, much more than needed. This is not a target gun, and its a lever gun. This is no place for a broken glass rod 2, 3 or even 4 lb trigger. My goal will be 4.5 lbs or more for safety and a bit less creep for precision. Lets see if it can be made to work.

i.imgur.com_50xXi.jpg

On the stone next to the screwdriver bit is the underside of the spring foot, I'm polishing the contact surface with the trigger seat. As you know, even if you polish only one of two engagement surfaces, much smoother operation can be realized. I won't do further trigger honeing till I have several hundered rounds down range and at that time, there'll be some wear spots to indicate best polishing locations on a myrad of internal parts.

i.imgur.com_FKdfM.jpg

And the new dearched spring. Much less bend than the lawyer bend and still plenty enough to readily slam this two piece trigger assembly down and forward to the rest/reset position.

i.imgur.com_A0qUY.jpg

About halfway back together with this not too complex but rather busy action and finally, the S-bar linking the lifter to lever is in place, samwiched in there behind the lifter and locking lugs. Wonderfull action....unlike Marlin and Win 94, the 1886 Win has vertical locking lugs, stronger by far than the 336 and 94 as many tests have proven beyond doubt.

i.imgur.com_B5B3V.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

The final result? This simple effort resulted in a repeatable 5 lbs 3 oz trigger pull with slightly reduced creep. Still some there but its...hmmm, repeatable and I think it'll allow stageing the trigger for fine shooting but not enough to interfere with the quick shot this gun is so well suited for.

i.imgur.com_oKIP5.jpg

Off to the range tomorrow to beat my shoulder bloody...I'll let ya know how it goes.

Long time comeing but worth the wait. Prolly shoooooooot it in on Sat AM....maybe hunt Sat PM or Sun AM!!!

Miroku 1886 Winchester 45-70 Extra Light. Nice wood under that satin finish. Ain't even been shot since it was made in 2001.

i.imgur.com_BWU6M.jpg

i.imgur.com_pOAtc.jpg

i.imgur.com_52red.jpg

i.imgur.com_W348n.jpg

i.imgur.com_JGwxc.jpg

i.imgur.com_5bRmD.jpg

I think I'll be happy, needs a trigger job but thats prolly it.

The rifle is a real looker and thumper in 45-70. I really like that curly maple table its setting on too and the tommahawk is neat as well.

Thanks RamRodDoc. I love good wood and have been fortunate to find it here and there for projects. That table is 13 years old now and does duty for Breakfast/Lunch and Dinner daily. It has some wear now but looks more like a well kept heirloom than a daily driver.

Very nice rifle!!! I have a Winchester 1895 (browning reproduction from 80's) I thought a out putting a Williams tube on it. I don't much care for the tang sights since they make them hard to put your hand around the grip area.

That's if I don't trade it off or sale it first!!

Last edited:
Put yer thumb beside the tang sight....keeps the 45 or 50 caliber heavy loads from drivin yer thumb up yer nose.... :)

Initial impressions.

Heavy enough to shoot comfortably with BP equivalant loads all day long and heavy loads for a somewhat shorter amount of time.

Trigger still has too much creep. I suppose I'll have to lock this two piece trigger together in one assembly and then hone it in a bit...more shooting first...its not a terrible trigger, just not good enough.

Accuracy is much better than I'd have hoped fore. All handloads except the light slow pistol loads hit the same spot out to about 50 meters. I can hit an 8" sq steel at 100 m regularly, and with a spine hold, drop the 15" steels at 150m.

It is very much a lead bullet rifle. Initial testing off the bench indicates this rifle will shoot lead in long strings w/o cleaning or apparent loss of accuracy.

The barrel is not a heavy wall and heats up fast. Even in the cool air today, mirage starts at about shot 5. But it cools quickly and dosn't seem to walk rounds all over the targets.

Off hand shooting at 50 m is lovely. I slaughtered the steel piggie over and over and over again.

When these big slugs connect, the steel targets really rock. There is no doubt ya hit, even a glancing shot will wrap the 100m 8" plate and chain in a knot.

All the initial bench testing was done from a rest at 25m. After that, I shot a good bit at 50 and 100 m on the bench and off hand to get a better feel for the gun. Recoil, even with the heavy loads is manageable but from the off hand position, even with 2 shirts and a jacket, the shoulder suffers. However, the cheek suffers not a bit...a nice change as my shotties belt me in the face every shot.

First load tested was the 220g Lee muzzleloading revolver bulled over light charges of unique. No recoil and hearing protection really not needed. A great practice load. As the ball is loaded fully in the case, each round is single loaded. These rounds impact high on the target. No worries, I can simply move the elevator a couple notches when practicing.

i.imgur.com_E0wsZ.jpg

Second load tested was the Lyman 480g Schmitzer Spitzer lead bullet. One of my favorites for long range shooting with the 45-70. As its pointed, it must also be single loaded. Velocity about 1300 fps

i.imgur.com_dJlLJ.jpg

Third load tested was the Black powder speed smokeless load with the Lee 405g LFNHB. Velocity about 1350 fps.

i.imgur.com_7hPGb.jpg

The fourth load tested was a moderate/heavy load of smokeless, again useing the Lee 405g LFNHB. Velocity would be in the 1550 to 1650 fps range.

i.imgur.com_ggbEV.jpg

The fifth load tested was a heavy smokeless load with Remington 300g JHP. Velocity about 1950 fps.

i.imgur.com_XIfo5.jpg

The sixth load tested was a heavy smokeless load with Hornady 350g JRN. Velocity about 2000 fps.

i.imgur.com_I9aWm.jpg

After some minor tweeks to the rear sight, a long string of the heavy load with Remington 300g JHP was fired without allowing the barrel to cool more than one minute between each 5 shot string. There was no deflection of the barrel although the mirage was pretty neat long around the last several shots.

i.imgur.com_PNXua.jpg

Stick that group in yer Marlin and smoke it!

Here is the view thru a hole....this gun'll make a fine post hole digger too.

i.imgur.com_1dP0h.jpg

And, my Owie. 165 rounds fired. Would have been worse but many were fired with 2 shirts and a jacket on and from a bench sling/rest. Durn near knocked my tattoos off.

i.imgur.com_IhfpN.jpg

Back
Top Bottom