• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Win 70 safety problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like you've got a small burr somewhere in the bolt interior or on the firing pin assembly/shroud. If you can disassemble the bolt you may be able to find the problem

OK - I shot some oil in the safety area last night. This morning it would still not move out of the "fire" position. I met a fella this afternoon on a gun sale who checked it out and kept working the safety and it finally moved out of the "fire" position!! I love this rifle but is this the kind of quality that Winchester is putting out? Maybe I need to change brands.

I would be patient. I know that certain guns have very different ways to be taken apart, or put back together. My Win 70 is by far the sweetest shooting high-power rifle I have ever held. Take it out for a few laps, I think you might be impressed.

(I always like to point out that my particular rifle is very sensitive to the type of ammo I use. In my particular gun, it will durn near hit a quarter at 100 yards with Winchester silver tips. With Remington, it just sprays ammo in the general direction. I don't know why this is the case, as there is nothing wrong with Remington ammo-but it is a fact for my rifle. Experiment, try some different brands, and you may discover what a great rifle the 70 can be.)

OK - I shot some oil in the safety area last night. This morning it would still not move out of the "fire" position. I met a fella this afternoon on a gun sale who checked it out and kept working the safety and it finally moved out of the "fire" position!! I love this rifle but is this the kind of quality that Winchester is putting out? Maybe I need to change brands.

Is it a New Haven Winchester or BACO Utah Winchester? I'm a firm believer that the last real Winchesters were made up to 2006 in New Haven, Conn before all the Browning, FN, ownership where they were assembled all over the place. I currently own 3 Model 70's, a 1300, and a Model 67. (all New Havens) I bleed Winchester sir. You may have to call BACO in Utah to get it fixed, but they are the Rifleman's Rifle and guarantee their products. I'm sure they'll fix it. I have a 1973 338 Win Mag, that the 3-pos safety has been dremeled down a lil bit and flips from Fire to safety as smooth as silk.

Is the rifle in the cocked position or has it been dry fired? The safety on the model 70 will stay in a forward locked position if the rifle has not been cocked by working the action.

Yes the rifle is in the cocked position and has not been dry fired. I did call Winchester yesterday and the rifle was made in 1991 and they really did not have any solutions other than sending it in for repair. I think I will try a local gunsmith first. (Jack Bennett in Loganville came highly recommended from other members - so I will contact him). Thanks everyone for the info!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom