Why use AeroShell 64 when assembling an AR?

cmshoot

Marines Icon
Staff member
197   0
Reaction score
Written by Trajectory Arms.

Its pretty common knowledge that AeroShell 64 (previously known as 33MS) is the standard for barrel and castle nuts. Ever wonder why? Torque values should be measured on lubed threads, so a little gun oil would likely work for that purpose. However the secret ingredient in the AeroShell is molybdenum disulfide (the shiny flakes you see in the grease). Due to its low coefficient of friction and layered structure, the layers will slide with each other and are very good under shear stress like in threaded fastener. Due to its low reactivity and low electrical conductivity, when combined with the base grease it is effective at combatting corrosion that can happen between different types of metals. Graphite (like in anti-seize) is a good lubricant as well but is also a conductor that will exacerbate galvanic corrosion between the aluminum receiver and steel barrel nut if protective coatings like anodizing chip away. Aeroshell, due to the high concentration of molybdenum disulfide is heat resistant and allows the barrel nut to be removed easier after lots of heat cycles even if most of the base grease bakes away. We actually use it on every threaded fastener that doesnt warrant some type of threadlocker.

058197B5-4349-4AAE-B742-90AB8401E150.jpeg

I use it on all my builds as well. It can be pricey but, if you buy in the larger containers, then transfer smaller amounts to more "user-friendly" containers, it is more manageable than pulling directly from a tube of grease. I like to save empty plastic containers to fill from the tube, then keep the smaller portions in my range bags and workshops, along with a small brush (buy a bulk pack), so I always have it with me.

AeroShell.jpg

Back
Top Bottom