• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why I switched to Glock.

P99AS, I still like it better than my PPQ
Reason I asked is I use to own a pk380, built in the same design of the p22, and I was not a fan. I've thought about buying different ppk's and pps's, but my mind always goes back to that pk380 and I decide against it. Did I just buy a crappy design for my first walther?

If you are talking National Match Course-type stuff, I would agree that the AR has "Longer Legs" than the AK--Provided you are using a Match-conditioned AR, of course--With your "Average" SHTF gun, I think the AK is probably MORE DANGEROUS against a man-sized Target than the AR at 300 yards, but like most, if I am shooting at something that far away, I want a BOLT RIFLE--In my case, a Remington 700 in .308--YMMV, of course....mikey357
I have found that the average AR off the shelf is much more accurate than the average AK off the shelf. More accuracy means longer effective range for precision fire. Why do you think the average AK is more dangerous at 300 than an average AR?

The day I turned 21, bought a stainless Kimber custom 2 with night sights for just shy of $1000. It turned out to be a stove piping rust bucket. It taught me that stainless steel ain't really stainless. Also required a 'break in period', which I had only heard associated with precision rifles. I thought that was stupid.

Swapped that for a USP compact that was awesome, and I regret selling it. Have a Glock 26 now, can't find any carry gun I consider an upgrade. I like to be able to carry a box of ammo in a couple of mags, and it's as accurate as most of the full sized pistols I've shot.

Oh, and IF something breaks/wears out, I can take the day off and drive to Smyrna. They also have the best upgrade prices/ customer service of any gun related place I've ever been.

I have found that the average AR off the shelf is much more accurate than the average AK off the shelf. More accuracy means longer effective range for precision fire. Why do you think the average AK is more dangerous at 300 than an average AR?

123 grains or more of Projo to turn Cover into Concealment, vs. 55, 62 or 75 grains...Plus, even CRAPPY AK's are "Minute-of-Man" at 300 yards, per over 40 years of Red Army Doctrine... :) ....mikey357

Reactions: MRH
123 grains or more of Projo to turn Cover into Concealment, vs. 55, 62 or 75 grains...Plus, even CRAPPY AK's are "Minute-of-Man" at 300 yards, per over 40 years of Red Army Doctrine... :) ....mikey357

I was going to respond but you summed it up quite well, Mikey. I've seen average AK FMJ rounds punch through both sides of car doors and break a concrete block to bits and pieces. That's one good reason to like it.

I would rather have the option of killing the enemy at 400 or 500 yards and also be able to kill them at closer ranges when they aren't offering "Minute-of-Man" sized targets. Which they typically won't be. With that said, I also keep an AR 10 loaded up with FMJ handy specifically for the purpose of turning Cover into Concealment and engaging at even greater distances if I have the opportunity. If it's not a target rich environment and I want to engage at the longest ranges is when the bolt action would come out. :thumb:

However, the weapon I would have in my hand the majority of the time will be my AR15 because it gives me the widest range of capability.

Last edited:
Reason I asked is I use to own a pk380, built in the same design of the p22, and I was not a fan. I've thought about buying different ppk's and pps's, but my mind always goes back to that pk380 and I decide against it. Did I just buy a crappy design for my first walther?
I personally would not own a pk380, I have considered an older interarms walther 380, but there are better carry guns out there

Back
Top Bottom