• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why I switched to Glock.

4 average AK's shooting 300 yards. It's worth a watch.
That's nice. I would loved to have seen the impacts on that target. That's also why I specifically said 400 yards in my previous post. The idea that these guys think 300 yards is a long shot also tells you what their perspective is. ARs can do this same trick at 600 yards. And I don't care how good a shot someone is, they can't make the weapon in their hand more inherently accurate.

Last edited:
Today I flipped my Kayak in some rapids I wasn't planning on going through. I was in the river for a good 15 minutes. It wasn't until four hours later when I was driving home that I thought about the Glock 23 riding IWB in my crossbreed supertuck. I reached down and felt it still there. I brought it home, dried it off, put 14 new rounds of HST in it and set it on the night stand next to my crossbreed.

Tomorrow it will go back in the holster and continue on its life on my side.

That is why I carry a Glock.

Reactions: MRH
That's nice. I would loved to have seen the impacts on that target. That's also why I specifically said 400 yards in my previous post. The idea that these guys think 300 yards is a long shot also tells you what their perspective is. ARs can do this same trick at 600 yards. And I don't care how good a shot someone is, they can't make the weapon in their hand more accurate than it is.

I agree. There are many videos of guys shooting 400 yards as well with AK's, and quite well, but I chose this one because it shows 4 of them shooting pretty well. I figure if I'm going to shoot past 300-400.yards I would rather have a bolt rifle than an AR or AK. But I do agree that an AR has better long range capability. That, and the ability to accessorize easier is the only advantage I see. I just don't see the practicality of trying to shoot an AR or AK at 600 yards. Sure, some guys can do it, but there are much better platforms for work at that range. Now some of the new AR's in 7.62x51, that's a different story...

Sorry for going off topic. I enjoy these conversations...

I agree. There are many videos of guys shooting 400 yards as well with AK's, and quite well, but I chose this one because it shows 4 of them shooting pretty well. I figure if I'm going to shoot past 300-400.yards I would rather have a bolt rifle than an AR or AK. But I do agree that an AR has better long range capability. That, and the ability to accessorize easier is the only advantage I see. I just don't see the practicality of trying to shoot an AR or AK at 600 yards. Sure, some guys can do it, but there are much better platforms for work at that range. Now some of the new AR's in 7.62x51, that's a different story...

Sorry for going off topic. I enjoy these conversations...
I enjoy them, too.

I would also use a different platform for long range....if I have the choice. If it's a SHTF situation I want a weapon in my hand that has the most capability. Accurate effective range of a typical AK is about half that of an AR. I consider that to be a hell of a cut in capability. With that said, I'm a practiced long range shooter, so I can take advantage of the ARs full capability. Admittedly, most people can't. The book end to my previous statement is that no matter how inherently accurate a weapon is, it does not increase the ability of the shooter.

I enjoy them, too.

I would also use a different platform for long range....if I have the choice. If it's a SHTF situation I want a weapon in my hand that has the most capability. Accurate effective range of a typical AK is about half that of an AR. I consider that to be a hell of a cut in capability. With that said, I'm a practiced long range shooter, so I can take advantage of the ARs full capability. Admittedly, most people can't. The book end to my previous statement is that no matter how inherently accurate a weapon is, it does not increase the ability of the shooter.

Indeed. Most modern weapons shoot way better than the guys using them.

More off topic...I won a DVD from a giveaway here on Larue tactical AR's and long range competition. It is an outstanding dvd documentary covering an annual sniper world championship. Snipers from all special forces and police all across the country are competing. Night shooting, day shooting, the rigors of the battlefield, etc...It also has intermissions where experts speak about how long range sniping works and all that it entails..An excellent watch. I'll send it to you if you want to watch it. I downloaded into my computer so I don't need the DVD. Let me know.

Indeed. Most modern weapons shoot way better than the guys using them.

More off topic...I won a DVD from a giveaway here on Larue tactical AR's and long range competition. It is an outstanding dvd documentary covering an annual sniper world championship. Snipers from all special forces and police all across the country are competing. Night shooting, day shooting, the rigors of the battlefield, etc...It also has intermissions where experts speak about how long range sniping works and all that it entails..An excellent watch. I'll send it to you if you want to watch it. I downloaded into my computer so I don't need the DVD. Let me know.
Thanks, but no need.

Are they doing the shooting only with ARs?

Thanks, but no need.

Are they doing the shooting only with ARs?

No, not only AR's but the documentary was made by Larue tactical so they do highlight their products. The sniper competition was held at Fort Benning so I thought that was pretty cool. I hunt right down the road from Fort Banning. They're based out of Texas. You should check them out. Great products. Their scope mounting systems alone are worth a serious look. Their AR's are too rich for my blood but one of them goes on my bucket list along with the LMT AR's.

http://www.laruetactical.com/

I enjoy them, too.

If you are talking National Match Course-type stuff, I would agree that the AR has "Longer Legs" than the AK--Provided you are using a Match-conditioned AR, of course--With your "Average" SHTF gun, I think the AK is probably MORE DANGEROUS against a man-sized Target than the AR at 300 yards, but like most, if I am shooting at something that far away, I want a BOLT RIFLE--In my case, a Remington 700 in .308--YMMV, of course....mikey357

Back
Top Bottom