• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Why does this keep happening

I'll check it out either tonight or tomorrow. It's had jamming issues off and on since I picked it up used. It's gotten worse. It was only occasional when I got it. The full disassembly was to cure the jamming problem.

The bolt is going forward and the bullet jams/bends to the right if you were looking straight down the barrel from the stock if that helps. There were a couple jams were the bullet never made it into the action before it jammed

You know @Jackie Graham might have nailed it.
Check your extractor, it's entirely possible that's what the problem is, especially with it bending to the right. That's my bet at this point.

It's an easy fix guys. Very easy. When you tighten the screw that holds the receiver to the stock, it binds the magazine. Simply twist the mag tube open. See how it stays put unless you pull it out? Hold your hand over it to keep it from shooting across the room and slowly loosen the receiver screw until the mag tube springs out freely. Your rifle is now ready for jam free shooting. If you absolutely must have that screw tight, then use some washers to shim it. It has a lot of thread though and it's a low/no recoil rifle..so it isn't going to just work it's way out and fall out in the woods or anything. It took me a lot of head scratching back in the day to figure this out. I can't count how many I've fixed for other people over the years...all the exact same issue.

I had a single shot model 60 when I was a kid. I could get 250 shots out of a brick and throw the other 250 crushed rounds away most of the time. If I was lucky it would just stove pipe every round and not crush any. My dad was friends with the gunsmith at Franklin's when they were on Hawthorne ( not sure if they were all assholes back then) and he tried to fix it a couple of times to no avail. I haven't owned a Marlin since.

Here's some pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 44
I had a single shot model 60 when I was a kid. I could get 250 shots out of a brick and throw the other 250 crushed rounds away most of the time. If I was lucky it would just stove pipe every round and not crush any. My dad was friends with the gunsmith at Franklin's when they were on Hawthorne ( not sure if they were all assholes back then) and he tried to fix it a couple of times to no avail. I haven't owned a Marlin since.
And all you ever had to do was loosen the receiver screw just a tad. It's kind of strange Marlin kept on building them this way, knowing fully well the first time anyone pulls one apart for cleaning, they are going to tighten that screw all the way...then be baffled with stovepipe/ftf/jam issues ever after.

And all you ever had to do was loosen the receiver screw just a tad. It's kind of strange Marlin kept on building them this way, knowing fully well the first time anyone pulls one apart for cleaning, they are going to tighten that screw all the way...then be baffled with stovepipe/ftf/jam issues ever after.
which screw is this?

Back
Top Bottom