• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Who here hunts gators with a bow?

I got a small (7') gator with my Mathews Q2 back in 2006 on the Savannah River. At the time it was just my retro-fitted everyday hunting bow, but now it is a dedicated gator/backup deer bow. I used the Muzzy gator getter kit which I ordered from their website. It turns out that I had to modify the way it was rigged because the line is attached to the front of the arrow and was pulling the tip downward in mid-flight. This caused several misses on much larger (9' to 11') gators before I figured out the rig.

It seems that it generally takes 2 priority points to get drawn, as that's what it took in '06, and my brother got drawn last year with 2 points (he got a 9 footer last year using a treble hook on a heavy fishing pole/grapple hook/harpoon). I have 2 priority points this year and hope to hear soon from the dnr on whether or not I get to go after gators again this year.

Fair warning-- gator hunting is unlike any other hunting I've ever done and is EXTREMELY addictive!

I shot one last year with a bow..Really nothing to it..I forget the name of the head I was using but it was not a muzzy..A guy I went with said it was myuch better..I practiced one day about 7 shots..Shot with no rest or sights..Pretty simple..Just remember if you shoot like this..If you think your holding low enough..Drop it on down MORE...I double lunged my gator and he made about a 100 yard death run..Didnt even get to fight him..We put in at a public boat ramp on the satilla river..I'll be going again soon as I build up enough points!

To both gtg375h and GA DWAG:

After you shoot them with the bow, do you then harpoon them?

Not necessary-- it's pretty much either/or on that, unless you think the gator is big enough to warrant another line on him. In that case, you can just make a follow-up shot with the bow. The main thing is getting something in him that will stay--and those muzzy points behind that thick hide ain't goin' anywhere. You also have to realize that all you really have to do is get a solid line in him, then make him stay still long enough at the surface to get a shot with your handgun. We used a homemade snare on a fiberglass pole-- similar to what animal control uses-- to position the gator for a clean finishing shot right beside the boat. That's pretty much all there is to it, other than playing the waiting game after the gator makes its initial dive to the bottom.
Well... that's all there is to the hunt anyway; you then have to consider how you're going to clean the gator after the fact. Let me know if you want some modest tips from my limited knowledge on that subject.

Scariest thing I ever done was to reach and grab the gators head to get him in the boat..DANG!!!!!!!!! That was after shooting it to make good and sure it was dead! They kept saying..Now if he moves..GET BACK..He may jyust be stunned..Had me all shook up LOL....Most exciting hunt of my life..Good luck if you go..I cant really help you out any other than that though..I just shot it..Pulled it up to the boat lifeless and shot it again with a gun..Pulled him on in and went and skinned it..

Back
Top Bottom