• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Who here hunts gators with a bow?

Tonyf6188

Default rank <2000 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
19   0
Reaction score
I have been applying for the last three years so I should be coming up with enough
preference points to finally get drawn. I am supposed to go down with a guy this year who thinks it is certain he will get drawn.

I have been looking around at different equipment and so far everybody tells me to get the Muzzy Gator
Getter Kit. I was wondering if any of you have any experience with it?

The other question I have is those of you that do hunt them with bows, do you use a dedicated rig or
do you just retro your deer bow to hunt with?

I've done it in S. Fla, years ago... Growing up down there, I've caught many gators, nothing huge, but it was just something we did.... So, feeling cocky, my buddies and I applied and actually drew a permit.. Long story short, we got skunked.. Its alot harder than it sounds when you've got to be legal.. The problem is, the season adds much more pressure than they are used to then they become VERY skittish and difficult to get close to... Now, you have to be prepared to quietly sneak up, no boat motors as they can easily hear them.. Shine them up to locate, then slowly paddle as close as possible.. At least thats what I would do differently.. Back in the day, we'd often use a bare hook on a rod, cast it over the gator and snag it near the head.. Once you have a line on him, you can direct it your way, gently.... Then the shooter, or guy with the bang stick could take over when he gets close enough.. There's many ways to take one, the trick is getting close.. I wont recomend the way we used to catch them, especially if they are trophy size.. Good luck, post some pic's...

Last edited:
It would have to be.. I've never done it that way.. I'd expect it to roll or take off immedialy after being shot.. So, monofiliment would seem useless.. I know Fla law prohibited them being take alive, but that would be my preference.. At least get them under control, then dispatch them..

Always good advice.... Honestly though, I grew up around them and as drunk kids, we'd catch them bare handed for fun... They arent that bad... I'm more nervous/cautious about coyote's.. I know it sounds silly, but gators dont hunt people, rabid coyote's hunt in packs certainly could...

Where can you get the gator set for the bow? backwater bowfishing.com seems to have it all ,any where local??

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom