Who here drives a BMW?

I have had several BMWs in the last ten years. The newest BMW being a 2007 328i much like the OPs 328i minus the minor cosmetic changes. It will be the last newest BMW I'll ever own. This is not because of the repairs cost but due to the dumb designs and the fact that there is no more naturally aspirated I6 engines anymore.

For those who do their own work will need a PHD to work on these. The costs for typical items that go out are stupid expensive to replace if you do not do your own work. For example, the water pump costs close to $550 just for parts and the labor could bring the repair cost to more than $1k. For those looking at a newer BMW with no warranty, look around at a good Indy shop or learn how to work on these. The turbo models can get very expensive to repair with no warranty.

Older BMWs are a lot easier to work on in my opinion. The electronics can be finicky but other than that, I do not mind wrenching on an older BMW.

I have had several BMWs in the last ten years. The newest BMW being a 2007 328i much like the OPs 328i minus the minor cosmetic changes. It will be the last newest BMW I'll ever own. This is not because of the repairs cost but due to the dumb designs and the fact that there is no more naturally aspirated I6 engines anymore.

For those who do their own work will need a PHD to work on these. The costs for typical items that go out are stupid expensive to replace if you do not do your own work. For example, the water pump costs close to $550 just for parts and the labor could bring the repair cost to more than $1k. For those looking at a newer BMW with no warranty, look around at a good Indy shop or learn how to work on these. The turbo models can get very expensive to repair with no warranty.

Older BMWs are a lot easier to work on in my opinion. The electronics can be finicky but other than that, I do not mind wrenching on an older BMW.

I know what you mean there. I got some angel eye headlights for my bmw. I was going to install them myself..... til I saw you have to take a ton of **** out to get to the back of the headlight. **** all that. :lol:

I was going to do the nicer xenon head lights on my BMW but did not after I saw how much it was going to be, lol. $1.5-2k said and done, then you have to install them.

Older BMWs is where it's at honestly. I'd rather work on my E34 M Sport more than my E90, lol. Less crap to deal with and water pumps are $75.

I was going to do the nicer xenon head lights on my BMW but did not after I saw how much it was going to be, lol. $1.5-2k said and done, then you have to install them.

Older BMWs is where it's at honestly. I'd rather work on my E34 M Sport more than my E90, lol. Less crap to deal with and water pumps are $75.
I hear that. Im happy with mine . My friend is a BMW tech and always gets stuck working on whatever I drive. He knows the E90 front to back! So that was the ONLY reason I chose this car really. I do enjoy it though.

I wouldnt own a BMW newer than about 2000, as much as I would like to. Parts are much more expensive, labor rates are comical, parts seem to wear out fast..

Pretty much every new car has too many things in it. I much prefer the simple driving machines that they used to be.

I did a few things to improve the handling of the car but other than that, it has been flawless in the last 21k miles. The 328 is a very good and reliable car. The turbo versions on the other hand are hit and miss.

I did a few things to improve the handling of the car but other than that, it has been flawless in the last 21k miles. The 328 is a very good and reliable car. The turbo versions on the other hand are hit and miss.

No turbo here. I drive too fast as it sits. Really digging the speed shifter. Helps when getting on the highway.

My wife had a 2007 328i that we maintained for about 8 months out of warranty, which I regret not selling as soon as it went out of warranty. Perhaps we had a lemon, but I'll never own another again. Good luck with yours and it is indeed a badass looking car!

i do - heres my e30 project

DSCN0338.jpg

DSCN0308.jpg

DSCN0332.jpg

05sep11e30rrdiff 013.jpg

18sep11e30roller 007.jpg

Back
Top Bottom