When you think you have it bad

My grandfather was born in 1895. First in the family to be born in the US. The rest of his family were born in Sweden. Never got to meet him because he died in’57, before I was born. He served in WWI and I have a copy of his draft card.
Both of his sons served in the military during the Korean War era. My dad and his brother were both Marines.
He died while working for the railroad, so my grandmother received a small pension for the rest of her life.
My Dad never said a negative word about his father, but he didn’t have too many stories either.

Just think about this. One of the worst decades for an American male to have been born in was the 1890s.

You would likely be drafted in to WW1
You would live through the time the Spanish Flu started wiping people out
You would live through prohibition
You would live through the stock market crash and the Great Depression
You would live through WW2 and if you had any sons they'd likely be of the age to get drafted...

No wonder that generation was so tough...

Stole that off another page, just thought it was interesting to think about.
My grandfather was born 1894. He passed 1977. He said he saw everything man has made.

My DAD was born in 1892, I was born in 1947 when he was 55. He wasn't drafted in WW I because he was married and had 2 kids, my half-sisters. He died in 1988, shortly after I moved to GA. Again, this was my DAD, not grandfather. His father, my grandfather, was born in 1864, during the Civil War/War of Northern Aggression. He died in 1954, when I was 7.

My dad was born in 1909. About the meanest man I ever met, strongest one too. Ex bare knuckles boxer, 6' 3", at 250, all of it muscle. He lived to be almost 95, didn't serve in WW1, being too young, and was too old for WWII. Everyone in the local central Texas area was scared to cross him, with good reason. Hair trigger temper, like living with a rabid grizzly bear.

My grandfather was born in 1895. First in the family to be born in the US. The rest of his family were born in Sweden. Never got to meet him because he died in’57, before I was born. He served in WWI and I have a copy of his draft card.
Both of his sons served in the military during the Korean War era. My dad and his brother were both Marines.
He died while working for the railroad, so my grandmother received a small pension for the rest of her life.
My Dad never said a negative word about his father, but he didn’t have too many stories either.
My dad didn't talk much about his dad, or himself. But, he'd talk when asked a question. I sure wish I had asked a lot more than I did. Your dad may have been similar. Hard working and solid. At the same time, my dad would be happy to tell a joke or play one. He especially liked baiting a shiny new tool with a phone magneto and wait for someone to go after the bait.

My dad didn't talk much about his dad, or himself. But, he'd talk when asked a question. I sure wish I had asked a lot more than I did. Your dad may have been similar. Hard working and solid. At the same time, my dad would be happy to tell a joke or play one. He especially liked baiting a shiny new tool with a phone magneto and wait for someone to go after the bait.
I think I'll call my Dad and ask him more about his father and see what he knows about his grandfather. Might be an interesting conversation.

My DAD was born in 1892, I was born in 1947 when he was 55. He wasn't drafted in WW I because he was married and had 2 kids, my half-sisters. He died in 1988, shortly after I moved to GA. Again, this was my DAD, not grandfather. His father, my grandfather, was born in 1864, during the Civil War/War of Northern Aggression. He died in 1954, when I was 7.
Your family males have fine, long lifespans. Nice to come from a healthy gene pool.

Back
Top Bottom