• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What's your favorite/new sword?

Bear44

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
213   0
Reaction score
I just got a new rod and reel as my primary casting rig. Small fish will be fun and big fish are going to be a blast! Really hoping to get into some good Stripers and Bull Reds on it this year.

new sword.jpg

Sorry for the bad pic.

St. Croix Tidemaster 7'6" Medium Power Fast Action rod.
Penn Spinfisher VI 3500.
20lb. Spectra Power Pro Super Slick Braid.

It's light and handy, but rated up to 17lb. line. You can catch some big fish on 17lb. if you know how to play them. The tip is whippy enough to handle casting light lures well. It's also very sensitive to detect those subtle pick ups. The reel is one of the better Penns, so it has an excellent drag and 220 yard capacity of 20lb. braid.

What's your go-to fishing rig?

Had this one for about 20 years. It rides with me this time of year just in case I stumble up on a pond, and have a minute. It’s a G-Loomis coupled up with a Shimano Calais.

That’s my favorite tackle box too. It’s just a plastic box 25lbs of screw came in. I throw my favorites and whatever else o may need in it. I’ve been carrying it for almost 20 years as well. I’ve got nicer tackle systems but I love that simple, durable box. If it ever breaks I will be sad because screws come in thinner, cheaper, boxes now.
7F3384B1-3536-4AEB-B363-620752272D5A.jpeg

Had this one for about 20 years. It rides with me this time of year just in case I stumble up on a pond, and have a minute. It’s a G-Loomis coupled up with a Shimano Calais.

That’s my favorite tackle box too. It’s just a plastic box 25lbs of screw came in. I throw my favorites and whatever else o may need in it. I’ve been carrying it for almost 20 years as well. I’ve got nicer tackle systems but I love that simple, durable box. If it ever breaks I will be sad because screws come in thinner, cheaper, boxes now.
View attachment 2068612
Sweet! I had an old bait casting rig for years that I loved. It eventually just fell apart from use.

I havent bought a new rod in 30 years. I still fish with my All stars, and 5500s. Catch just as many if not more and bigger than all these yuppies with 300 dollar reels and 200 dollar rods

I havent bought a new rod in 30 years. I still fish with my All stars, and 5500s. Catch just as many if not more and bigger than all these yuppies with 300 dollar reels and 200 dollar rods
That's cool, but light is good for the amount I will cast in a day and I want the realistic ability to catch a 40lb. fish on a light weight rod. You can do it on older tech, but it's a lot more likely on the new stuff.

BTW, not a yuppie. Just turned 61.

That's cool, but light is good for the amount I will cast in a day and I want the realistic ability to catch a 40lb. fish on a light weight rod. You can do it on older tech, but it's a lot more likely on the new stuff.

BTW, not a yuppie. Just turned 61.
Lol, i was more talking about some folks i went fishing with this wknd. It was fresh on the mind. I dont see me upgrading any rods and the 5500s are rock solid but old. May look into a new reel in the future. I just live in the past.

Back
Top Bottom