Whats the point of a bug out bag? RANT warning

I'm not against preparation, when I worked in a tall building in NYC (pre 911) I kept a parachute and a pair of sneakers under my desk. Never told anyone about the parachute and the sneakers were for the gym, at least thats what someone would think. The sneakers were for running down the stairwell in case of a fire and the parachute was for jumping because the floor I was on was way above any ladder or other means of rescue. I moved to GA partly because of 911, my CT subburb was (is) well within a dirty bomb blast zone.

I just think that bugging out of a well stocked house seems like a bad idea, especially in rural subburban GA, and I was genuely curious about the motivation behind it (that and too much coffee.)

I seem to have it wrong, you guys are preppign to get back home, which doesnt seem like a bad idea.

My bad.

so you dont understand why people do things, get angry about it instead of simply asking why? Are you a lawmaker?

I have a small bag with my mags because when you need to leave an area a tac vest is a bit over the top.there is nothing wrong with having your things in order.

real life example, katrina. you can't bug in if you house is underwater..... or on fire, etc..

Last edited:
My BoB is mostly a GHB(Get Home Bag) in case I'm stuck a day or more from home. But it would still serve me well if I had to leave home. I shouldn't have to bug out but there could be reasons why bugging IN wouldn't work.

I always understood they were for getting you back home as well...Just my 2 cents.
GAGunguy, welcome and I hope none of us ever need any of our prep.

Bugging out would be a last resort for most people that have bugout bags. I live in the sticks but I live in a pretty large subdivision. There are quite a lot of people in my neighborhood and if SHTF and people started getting restless I am not sure how long I would stay here......but you portray anyone with a bugout bag as someone who is trekking out on foot. I have a BOB but I would be hightailing in our truck......last resort of course.

I would say a parachute under the desk is a good bit wackier than a Bugout bag but then again I have never worked in a highrise in NYC. lol

I would bug out if there were to be a chemical or radiation cloud heading my way... think fukashima nuke plant that coated the surrouding area with high levels of radiation as the sea winds blew in land.

or think emp.. fires starting... no way to control them, you may have to leave as your neighborhood or wooded area around you house burns towards your home.

that being said.. i dont actually have a BOB... but I do have a gun, good aim and a trusting personality... so I will get one eventually.:confused:

A get home bag in the car enables me to do just that. I drive quite a bit and can be anywhere from 50-150 miles from home some days of the week. Having the ability to get home on foot and have the necessary supplies to either operate independently or simply get help is not preparing for the zombies. I do keep a pistol and spare ammo for more than just zombies or overall chaos.

Having lived in Florida, I've been through several hurricanes to include Hurricane Andrew. Having supplies to survive for several days is not paranoid, it is a necessity. While in North Georgia we don't get hurricanes, we have had some pretty bad tornadoes lately. For the first time in my life we hunkered down in a closet for a severe tornado warning not 2 months ago. Anybody remember what happened up around Dalton/Ringgold and Alabama not too long ago? For those that made it through there weren't cars, buildings, supplies, etc around within easy reach. While it wasn't a prolonged situation, I'm sure more than a few people had some severe inconvenience for a few days. Also, anybody remember the gas shortage after the refineries got hit from hurricanes a few years back? Another week of that and everything would have ground to a halt until more gas made it in.

Being able to become mobile and not rely on many others in the event of a larger scale event isn't paranoid, it is simply preparing to be more self-reliant and increase your chances of survival. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best. I wouldn't want to leave my house, but if circumstances require I'd like to increase my chances of making it.

Once again, wrong section. There is a section dedicated to this topic. It can easily be ignored by adding it to the "Forums to exclude from view" list. I've done that, but don't want to exclude general discussion. Someone move this to the appropriate section please.

There are over 5+ million residents in the Atlanta Metropolitan area. Most have about 3 days worth of food stored and less in liquids. If there is no power, no water, no delivery of food or medicine in a timely fashion, you are trapped with a few million hungry people willing to kill to keep their children alive. Look how quickly society degraded when Katrina hit N.O. Even LEOs abandoned duty and were looting. The conditions at the Superdome were atrocious with people dying and no way to dispose of the dead bodies or living human waste. Sometimes, even if you are well prepared, bugging in is not a safe bet if you are in a densely populated area - once someone suspects you have food, you become the target. Even if they don't find out about your food and water stash, do you really want to be in the cesspool of rampant bacteria and virus? Bottom line is that it's safer where no one can find you and that's why people bug out. If done right, your BOB is not for you to go camping in the woods, but to get you where you need to go where you already have stuff stored for survival.

Of course, all this depends on how quickly order is restored. But if you are a true prepper, you would prepare for the worst and not rely on the government to come save your ass, because more likely than not, they'll take everything you have.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom