• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What's the Honda Accord of BB guns?

araomd

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
59   0
Reaction score
Looking to get one for my 10 and 13 y.o. Looking for reliable and simple, not too fancy or too cheap.
Daisy Red Ryder? Something else?

Good luck. The Red Ryders I've bought over the last 15 or so years are complete and utter plastic filled junk. One lasted a whole 2 days. The all metal and wood Daisy I have that is over 50 years old still shoots like the day it was made and will probably be going another 50 years.
I'd try to find a 'vintage' one to give them. Probably wouldn't cost an unreasonable amount more. But at 13, they may have already outgrown the size of most BB guns.

The Red Ryder is a really cheap BB gun that has low power, minimum accuracy, and it's physically sized for tiny little children. It may not be appropriate for older kids Some 10 and 12-year-olds are too big for a red Ryder type air gun.

I'd say start by looking at a Crossman 760 powermaster.
It is a small (but bigger than a Red Ryder) and lightweight .177 air rifle that you can pump between 2 and 10 times to choose the level of power in your shot.
I find 4-6 pumps is enough for most backyard plinking, and going from four pumps to ten does not extend your range very much.

The Crosman 760 uses either BBs or pellets if you use BBs you can use an internal magazine that holds some thing like 18 or 20 of them and it's very fast to fire like a bolt action rifle with a 20 round magazine .
If you use pellets I believe you either have to single load them or use a five shot plastic speedloader which is nowhere near as fast or convenient to use as the BBs in the internal magazine.
However, because the soft lead pellets will actually engage the rifling in the rifled steel barrel, they are more accurate.

This model 760 costs about $30-$40.

It's a good choice as a first airgun for a kid whose age is in the double digit range.
I think it would serve well for a few years before you should replace it with an even more powerful, higher performance air rifle meant for teenagers or adults.

Good luck. The Red Ryders I've bought over the last 15 or so years are complete and utter plastic filled junk. One lasted a whole 2 days. The all metal and wood Daisy I have that is over 50 years old still shoots like the day it was made and will probably be going another 50 years.
I'd try to find a 'vintage' one to give them. Probably wouldn't cost an unreasonable amount more. But at 13, they may have already outgrown the size of most BB guns.

Looks like this one is better? https://www.amazon.com/Daisy-MFG-Poweline-Air-Rifle/dp/B003EBL2VI#customerReviews

Sorry, when you said "BB gun" I was thinking of the lever type guns. If you are talking about pump or break barrel action pellet rifles, you have almost infinite choices. At their current ages, I'd still spend more and get something they could enjoy to adulthood. I still have my (then) Sheridan Silver Streak 5mm. Zero repairs in over 40 years and still slinging 'em true. :)

Sorry, when you said "BB gun" I was thinking of the lever type guns. If you are talking about pump or break barrel action pellet rifles, you have almost infinite choices. At their current ages, I'd still spend more and get something they could enjoy to adulthood. I still have my (then) Sheridan Silver Streak 5mm. Zero repairs in over 40 years and still slinging 'em true. :)

Man, I must have shot 50 lbs. worth of pellets through a Silver Streak. Loved that thing!

Back
Top Bottom