• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

What's better, a compound bow or a crossbow?

Stannicus

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
85   0
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm pending a trade offer for a nice compound bow setup from someone I met on Craigslist as well as a trade offer from the ODT. This will be my first bow and I'm looking to get into it as a hobby and I'm also planning to go hunting for the first time this fall. Which is better the crossbow or a compound bow?

- - - Updated - - -

I want to actually stalk something, kill it, have it processed and eat it! I feel that bow hunting is just some wicked cool ish to get into.

depends on your comfort level. A crossbow is easier for sure. A compound bow to me is more fun. Most of the time more compact than a xbow. I have owned both and to me a xbow is more like a single shot rifle. A compound bow requires more practice but I get more gratification out of a kill. I would say compound if it were my choice.

Personally, I think the only time anyone should use a crossbow for hunting is if they have some kind of physical disability or limitation that hinders their ability to use a conventional or compound bow.

Personally, I think the only time anyone should use a crossbow for hunting is if they have some kind of physical disability or limitation that hinders their ability to use a conventional or compound bow.
I was actually very surprised that this still wasn't the law a couple of years ago. Personally, I say man up and tie a bowie knife to a stick and jump out of a tree onto whatever you are hunting...but maybe I watch too much Rambo.

Physical limitations aside, a crossbow is better if you will be on the ground. A game animal will spot ya if you aren't darn careful while drawing a compound bow. Of course, they will spot ya in a tree stand too. I use both depending on the condition of the arthritis in my shoulders.

Back
Top Bottom