What should I do?

77REBELBOWTIE

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
43   0
Reaction score
A few months back we bought some chicks to raise. They recently started laying eggs and the kids were too excited.
The weekend before last my wife's sisters dog came to my house and our young rooster jumped on it. Well of course the dog won. I told them that he was on his way to the pot anyway, because he was starting to jump my kids.
Yesterday we come home and find feathers everywhere around the yard and in the woods. All my chickens were found dead in their yard. Naturally I'm pissed. All they say is they're sorry. My wifes uncle has some chickens he has already been talking to me about letting me have. They pop and say they'll get them for us, like they're doing us a favor.
I feel its a bs way out for them, because it's not costing them anything, besides we were already going to get them. Only fair solution to me, is that they buy me some chicks then buy all the feed until they start laying eggs. I also suggested them keep the dog kenneled or fence their yard, but they are scoffing at that idea.
This is where I need advice, because if I see the dog on my property it will be removed permanently.

Get rid of the chickens or prepare for a battle. The dogs will never stop once they have
done it once. If they refuse to pen the dog, animal control isn't going to help much. Byh
the time animal control gets there, the dog will be back home and they won't do anything.

You can shoot legally shoot them but once you do, then it becomes a real fight.

I've had chickens for years and dealt with the same thing you are many times. No matter
how many were "removed" more would always show up. Tim is right it will never get better
or stop so even though it's wrong, you may consider getting rid of the chickens.

Now that the dog has a taste for chicken it WILL keep doing it. Tell them what will happen if it does and give them the chance to keep the dog up. If not then....they were warned.

I've got a similar problem with neighbor's cats. They keep sliding off my vehicles and scratching the crap out them on they're way down to the ground!! Cats disappear, more cats show up......

It never ends.

On the positive side, I don't have a rat, mouse or snake problem.

Now that the dog has a taste for chicken it WILL keep doing it. Tell them what will happen if it does and give them the chance to keep the dog up. If not then....they were warned.

Told them that when it killed the rooster. Found out recently that it killed a fawn last year. Everyone gave me grief about my pit mix killing cats, armadillos, and protecting the the yard. All this was done by a Brittany spaniel.

Back
Top Bottom