• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What Kind of Gun/Caliber are you using opening day of Gun/Deer Season

Ruger 44 carbine as long as leaves are still on the trees and I won't really be taking shots over 50 to 75 yards. Been very very good to me the last 25 years. More than likely will go to my 270 later in the season or if I hunt fields where I might have a 200 yard shot. I love the 44 carbine for the first few weeks.

Think I already posted it but my 1969 remington 700 BDL .30-06. No scope though, just iron sights.
image.jpg

M1A in .308

Unless my buddy and I decide to both use .223 rifles this year, because he's thinking about using his AR...

... I'll go with a Springfield M1A using 150-grain soft point .308 Win ammo.
Yes, I know that the commercial .308 has a higher pressure and a different pressure curve than M80 military ball ammo, but I think that if I use standard-weight bullets that are not loaded to the highest possible .308 velocities it should be OK.

The rifle wears a fixed 4X "deer rifle" scope that is, like the rifle, 30 years old.
The pic isn't mine, but it's almost exactly what mine looks like.
And I won't be carrying the 20-round magazine. I have a 10-round mag. Shorter and won't bump my arm as much when I walk with the rifle slung on my shoulder.

Back
Top Bottom