• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What is your favorite oil, solvent?

Anyone ever use Engage? Just found this stuff. It looks like an industrial CLP good from -70 to +480 degrees. It contains Teflon/PTFE. Pretty pricey stuff and I don't know if it's any better than Breakfree.

Weapon Shield for oil. KG-1 for carbon, and Wipe-Out for copper. Alternately, if you're in a hurry KG-12 for copper, but it's hard to tell when you're done, unlike with Wipe-Out which works overnight and leaves color on the patches indicating what it's removed.

Cheap alternatives: any motor oil works, though better brands probably work better. Alternately, automatic transmission fluid, but it's messy. For carbon removal: Sea Foam or any brand "top engine cleaner". For copper: Wipe-Out or KG-12. No cheap safe option there. The ammonia-based chems will eat your barrel if you aren't careful.

Most folks don't do much about copper removal, from what I've seen. Kroil, Hoppes, Break-Free-- do little or nothing to remove copper. Wipe-Out will get it out, with no smell and no elbow grease. The foam is a bit messy until you get the hang of it, but it's good stuff with or without the accelerator. KG-12 does better in the copper dissolving tests, but takes elbow grease unless you plug the chamber and soak the barrel overnight.

Eezox is a pretty good all-in-one, but like all of the CLPs I've tried, it's weak in one area. In this case, lubrication.

I have not tried Frog Lube, but I've tried pretty much everything else. I would politely submit that there are products that seem to be superior to Hoppes #9, Break Free, and Rem Oil... Certainly smell better, clean better, run less, and so forth. Not trying to pick a fight, but these others seem to work much better for my needs. Your needs may be different.

Last edited:
Weapon Shield for oil. KG-1 for carbon, and Wipe-out for copper. Alternately, if you're in a hurry KG-12 for copper, but it's hard to tell when you're done, unlike with Wipe-out which works overnight.

Cheap alternatives: any motor oil works, though better brands probably work better. Alternately, automatic transmission fluid, but it's messy. For carbon removal: Sea Foam or any brand "top engine cleaner". For copper: Wipe-Out or KG-12. No cheap safe option there. The ammonia-based chems will eat your barrel if you aren't careful.

Eezox is a pretty good all-in-one, but like all of the CLPs I've tried, it's weak in one area. In this case, lubrication.

I have not tried Frog Lube, but I've tried pretty much everything else. I would politely submit that there are products that seem to be superior to Hoppes #9, Break Free, and Rem Oil... Certainly smell better, clean better, run less, and so forth. Not trying to pick a fight, but these others seem to work much better for my needs. Your needs may be different.

Agreed almost 100%. I haven't used eezox, but I've had the same results with everything else you mentioned. I'm currently testing Fireclean with very good results so far. It's good for lubrication and carbon. Copper removal will still require KG12 or some other solvent though.

Last edited:
Lube: Slip 2000, FP-10
Solvent: Butches Bore Shine, or Sweets 7.62

I don't use CLP's.

Last edited:
Other thoughts: Brake Cleaner always has a place, but you have to be careful with plastic, paint, or anything Loc-tited (like some staked-in parts in 1911s).

I need to try Frog-lube, FireClean, and Slip 2000. But we're now splitting hairs, over the "best"-- they all work, and better than motor oil (more high-lubricity components). These are all top-notch lubes, from my reading. Eezox smells like mint, Weapon Shield like cinnamon, and Frog-lube is edible. If you're into those things.

Wipe-Out is still the bomb though. I cannot believe it's so little known. Been working great for me for about 13 years now. KG-12 is the only thing that comes close, and it smells, stains, doesn't give good feedback on the patches, and is so thick it doesn't want to soak in to some brands of patches.

Last edited:
Other thoughts: Brake Cleaner always has a place, but you have to be careful with plastic, paint, or anything Loc-tited (like some staked-in parts in 1911s).

I need to try Frog-lube, FireClean, and Slip 2000. But we're now splitting hairs, over the "best"-- they all work, and better than motor oil (more high-lubricity components). These are all top-notch lubes, from my reading. Eezox smells like mint, Weapon Shield like cinnamon, and Frog-lube is edible. If you're into those things.

Wipe-Out is still the bomb though. I cannot believe it's so little known. Been working great for me for about 13 years now. KG-12 is the only thing that comes close, and it smells, stains, doesn't give good feedback on the patches, and is so thick it doesn't want to soak in to some brands of patches.

Weaponshield is probably the best petro based lube I've ever used. Slip2K is good stuff, but burned off too quickly in my AR's for my taste. Wipe out is killer on copper. As far as the new wonder lubes are concerned, the non-toxic aspects are very appealing, which is why I'm testing Fireclean currently. Froglube didn't work out to well for me, but I won't clutter up the thread with that story again.

Back
Top Bottom