• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What have you reloaded today?

Did 120 gold dot 115 gr 9 mm.. with 4.5 gr. Of hp -38.. test fired 5 done pretty good to me.. these are guessed to be gold dot.. got them in a big swap.. they had been pulled at sometime

Couple hundred .223 rounds. 69 gr. RMR projectiles over 25.3 gr. of Varget. It took forever. That stick type powder is a pain to meter. If I get 7 pieces of brass right on the money I feel lucky. Usually it's a slow trickle till I hit the mark. Frustrating after so long..

Late to report in, but before last weekend I ran up some:

303 Brit "Just Like Dad's" - 180gr Speer RNSPs over IMR 4064
300 BLK Subsonics - 265gr Acme Hi-tek .310 bullets over CFE Blk

1707280601706.png

The 303s shot well. I loaded them lighter than standard military and was aiming at about 2100fps. Fed great, accurate enough, fist-sized groups at 100 yards, probably would have been better if there was a better nut behind the bolt. Very satisfied. That'll be my standard plinking round for the Lee Enfield.

I must remember to chrono them next time.

The 300BLKs? Not so much. Ballistically they were fine. Great thumpers. Chronoed at just above 1000fps, satisfying *bang* <wait> *clang* on the steel. What wasn't so great was that with that flat nose, they're not great in autoloaders and I had some hang ups even in my Ruger American Ranch Rifle feeding. Needless to say, the rounds were chewed up a bit, and while I had crimped them, I still ended up having some unfireable rounds. I swapped mags and all the standard stuff, and while one of the mags might have to be retired, all the other mags were very similar with the feeding.

Still, that's why they call it load development, right? Lesson learned. They'd be fun to shoot if they weren't a pain in the azz with the misfeeds. I have some similar bullets from Acme in the 245gr weight, which I'll also try, but the profile is pretty similar and so I'm not expecting too much.

Looks like plated rounds will be back on the subsonic menu, boys.

I loaded some Berry's 220gr in 300 blackout. I didn't take my chrono so not sure the fps but they ran well, but didn't alway lock back on an empty mag. I'll load some more and take them to the outdoor range and see what they are running and how much more I can go or if i need to change powder. I don't recall what I used on these, probably 1680. I have some CFE BLK and I think I did some with something else. :)

I loaded some Berry's 220gr in 300 blackout. I didn't take my chrono so not sure the fps but they ran well, but didn't alway lock back on an empty mag. I'll load some more and take them to the outdoor range and see what they are running and how much more I can go or if i need to change powder. I don't recall what I used on these, probably 1680. I have some CFE BLK and I think I did some with something else. :)

I know we really shouldn't trust other peoples' recipes as reliable, but I was getting just a shade over 1000fps from a 16in barrel using 10.0gr of CFE Blk and a Berrys 220gr, with some case capacity left.

The same ammo used in a 12.5in 300BLK AR did give me reliable bolt lock-back, but I think that's as much a function of the buffer tube as the powder load.

I know we really shouldn't trust other peoples' recipes as reliable, but I was getting just a shade over 1000fps from a 16in barrel using 10.0gr of CFE Blk and a Berrys 220gr, with some case capacity left.

The same ammo used in a 12.5in 300BLK AR did give me reliable bolt lock-back, but I think that's as much a function of the buffer tube as the powder load.
just checked. 220smk 11gr 1680, 220smk 12gr CFE BLK and 220 Berry's with 11.1gr 1680 (I was too lazy to set the thrower to 11gr).

just breaking in the upper, so probably need to run some standard rounds thru it to break it in a bit more before I start to worry about locking back on last round, and I don't recall what buffer/spring I have it the lower. The 7" barrel also affects the gas a lot.

Back
Top Bottom